Fixing My Imac

Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently came across a 20inch 2gig intel Imac that is having some startup issues. When the computer is turned on i hear the chime but only a blank white screen is displayed. I have done a lot of research into this and I suspect the issue is that a new HDD is needed. Im usually a PC guy but use mac at work and this imac is my chance to finally convert. My main question is is there anything special I should know about replacing this hdd? Will just any hdd work or do i need a mac one specifically? Also if you have any other suggestions as to how i can resolve the startup issue or something else that might be the cause i am open to any insight you might have.

Thanks in advance for all your help...looking forward to converting :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
iMac Intel - iFixit

It sounds like you have the same model I do, not sure though as there are 3 or 4 different 20' intel models, i think. But check this page out, it'll get you where you need to be. And I do believe you will will need a specific HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
Good luck man. Keep us posted on your progress! Sounds like a fun project.

OP
P
Reaction score
lawfuld be

Hey All just a little update,

So I got the Imac all opened up and decided the best idea would be to try and reformat the imac hdd on my pc. I erased the entire disk in the pc and then put it back in the Imac. Now the mac boots to the blank white screen and then shows a flashing folder with a question mark in the middle of it. I don't have a USB keyboard with me at the moment so I will have to wait till I go to work tomorrow to grab a usb keyboard and try and get the Imac to boot from the disc.

Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As inexpensive as new large fast hard drives are, why even mess with a drive that's probably defective? Even if you should resurrect it, how long do you think it will last? Want to risk your data with it? And let's face it, unless you enjoy opening up an iMac and removing - replacing hard drives, replace it with a new one.

OP
P
Reaction score
chscag-Thanks for the advice...this is more of a learning experience for me than me trying to get this imac up and running as quickly as possible. Its fun to try and figure out ways to make it work with what you have. I am going to try and mess around with this a little more (havent figured it out yet) but once i get frustrated enough to spend some money I will definatly take your advice. On that note do you know off hand if there is a specific hdd that I would need to purchase for the Imac or will any sata drive do?

Anyone have any suggestions for the question mark folder? I don't think the drive is useless since I was able to see it and erase it on my PC...also does anyone have any ideas on how to verify that this is a HDD issue? I would hate to buy a HDD and still not solve the problem (remember I am emphasizing cheap over quick here)

Thanks in advance for all your sage advice :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have another thread open in here describing my attempt to fix an Imac that was given to me.
Long story short the Imac(emc2133) now boots with a flashing folder with a question mark in it. I have learned that this is likely a hdd issue so I tried to boot from the osx disc with no luck. I put my windows xp disc in and was able to install windows onto the hdd so i know the drive isint fragged. Just wondering if any of you have any ideas on this...I was hoping to install OSX on this not windows.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I know you're new here - but please do not start another thread as it causes confusion and clutter in the forum. Always post back to the original thread. I moved your post to the original thread.

OP
P
Reaction score
I know you're new here - but please do not start another thread as it causes confusion and clutter in the forum. Always post back to the original thread. I moved your post to the original thread.
Sorry about that...just to give you all an update I found a workaround for the issue...For some reason the mac would not boot from the osx disk...i tried booting it up with an XP disc and that worked for some reson...installed xo and was then able to boot from the osx disc and install osx...its being installed now so problem solved:)

Signing up for a forum-0$
figuring out how to get rid of the folder with the ? without buying a new drive-0$
Getting a "broken" Imac to work fine-Priceless!!

Thanks for all your help guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.