An oldie but a goodie

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm "fixing" a mates iMac G4 1.24GHz, which I think needs a new HD (it was starting, but only to grey screen with apple icon - where it would just stay for hours)... I was following this... Replace Hard Drive and/or Optical unit (iMac G4 17", 1GHz)

I got through to the 8th slide, but I just couldn't seem to remove the bottom section - it's catching somewhere just below the cd drive...

So I put it all back together and was trying reboot key combinations to try to eject a cd (if there is even one in there), but it stopped starting at all.

Now I restart it and get nothing... just a black empty screen.

Any ideas what I've done to the machine and how to bring it back?

We love it and want to restore it.

It's buzzing now...

Wired

OP
W
Reaction score
OK - the 'buzzing' is just the drive or fans whirring, not some electrical thing as I first thought

Wired

Reaction score
You hooked all the connectors back the way they where. Put the memory stick back in and seated it.

OP
W
Reaction score
I hadn't un-plugged any memory chips or anything to get to that stage (there is no additional chip and no airport card) and it was working initially after I put it back together...

Are we talking mother board issues here?

Wired

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
'Logic board' in Mac terminology. It reads at this point more like a complete HD failure. Unless you can get past the Slide 8 stage, you're sort of stuck.

I've sent you via PM a link to a different Mac manual. Maybe the iMac ones will provide you with a better description (and pic) of how to get the two sections of the iMac apart.

Have a look here too http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/iMac_G4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.