iTunes freezes when iPod connects

Reaction score
I just bought a new MacBook Pro -- my first Mac computer -- and when I try to connect my iPod (5th generation, 30gb video), iTunes freezes. I have no idea what the problem is; the iPod works fine and connects to Windows computers fine. The iPod has no issue connecting to the computer; it just won't connect to iTunes.

I have tried updating iTunes, updating the computer. I even reinstalled iTunes. Nothing has worked. I hope they aren't incompatible--that would be weird. I don't know what I'd do because one of the main reasons I bought the MacBook Pro was to load music into my iPod (my old laptop with a disk drive broke).

There is an update for my iPod that comes up whenever I load it into a Windows computer. I could try that, but I'm not sure that's what's the problem since updated versions of iTunes for Windows have no issues with it.

Please help! Also please move this topic if I put it into the wrong category.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Anyone? It froze in Windows computers for a while, but then I got it to work on my netbook. I updated the software, but it still doesn't work on my MacBook. Does anyone know if there are older versions of iTunes available for me to download? I'm not sure that would help, but it's worth a try. The computer recognizes it as an iPod, but iTunes freezes. It ejects and connects fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You can't have the iPod syncing with more than one computer, unless you are using it as an external drive, and even then you need to have the right format on it's HD.

OP
Y
Reaction score
You can't have the iPod syncing with more than one computer, unless you are using it as an external drive, and even then you need to have the right format on it's HD.

My iPod is a fifth generation. I have never had to sync it, and have in the past connected it to as many computers as I wished without issue; I even connected it to a MacBook once without problems. The MacBook Pro I have recognizes the iPod as an iPod; the thing disconnects/ejects from the computer fine. iTunes is the problem! iTunes, for whatever reason, just freezes every time. (I did find an older version of iTunes to download, but even that version froze.) The iPod plays music fine, and last night I connected it to my netbook without issues.

I have also tried connecting the iPod to the MacBook Pro in diagnostic mode, but iTunes still froze. I have NOT tried restoring it, since I don't want to lose all my music and since it still works in other computers and plays music fine.

Is there another program to add music to my iPod besides iTunes? I downloaded Songbird, but it didn't seem to work as a way to add music. Yamipod doesn't work either, as I have connected the iPod to a new version of iTunes and it doesn't like that.

The iPod is Windows formatted, but as I said before, I have connected it to a Mac computer before with no issues. I have read that if your iPod is Windows formatted it should also work on Macs anyway, but if your iPod is Mac formatted that it won't work on Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Right ok, your not syncing, fine.
Then I would suggest running disk utility and verifying permissions, as it could well be an iTunes permissions issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.