itunes media keys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
................................ OLD: MBP 13" Mid 09 .......... NEW: MBP 13" Mid 12 ..........
on my macbook pro the three media key i use for VLC and every time i use them it opens itunes how can i stop this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
on my macbook pro the three media key i use for VLC and every time i use them it opens itunes how can i stop this

Not easily. This is a bug (or feature) in iTunes. Here's a discussion with numerous solutions/workarounds… be sure to read them all:
Stop Play / Pause button opening iTunes in Snow Leopard - Super User

The tip that involves using FunctionFlip strikes me as being the best solution. Most of the others are just too prone to causing unforeseen issues or inconveniences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've been experimenting a bit more with FunctionFlip, and it is easily the best solution. I want to go ahead and add some tips.

First, use FunctionFlip to disable using F7, F8, and F9 as media keys.

EDIT: Also be sure to enable the option to start FunctionFlip on login.

Next, when editing VLC's hotkeys, you'll find that F7 and F8 are already bound to functions for playing a bookmark. You'll need to clear those out first. Then you can reassign F8 to Play/Pause, F7 to Short backwards jump, and F9 to Short forward jump. Alternatively, you could use the medium or long jump options.

Once you've saved your new hotkeys, you'll need to exit VLC and restart it to take effect. Now it'll work perfectly.

In iTunes you no longer will be able to use those media keys without also pressing the FN button. But you can get around this by setting custom keyboard shortcut preferences. Go to:
System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts
Click the + sign and find/add iTunes.
Then for the Menu Title, enter Previous, and use F7 for the Keyboard Shortcut.
Repeat with Next as the Menu Title, F9 as the Keyboard Shortcut.
For some reason, setting Play to use F8 doesn't work, but you can leave it be and just use the spacebar. It'll work just the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.