OnyX Cleaner For Macs ???

Reaction score
Hi

I recently added a post about cleaning my Mac 5.1 OSX Leopard 10.5 via OnyX Mac Cleaning Program and it's been suggested to use all options in the Automation tab. Would anyone here also recommend using all options in the Cleaning tab? I ask because I'm looking to completely clean my system.

Don't mean to sound dumb it's just I'm new to the process...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When using any maintenance program, the first thing to do is read the instructions and the help file provided. You need to first understand what everything does and what impact it will have before you use it. OnyX is a very powerful tool and generally will not harm your machine, but there are things it can do which may not be what you would want and for which the result could be surprising. RTM (Read the Manual)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'd just use the automation tab and uncheck cleaning fonts cache.
When you understand all the features, of which there are so many (which you can google each feature to see what they mean), then you can selectively use those.
The automation is really all you should use in general, and even then, only every 2-3months.

Chscag got in there first :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Selected all options in Automation except Fonts Cache, OnyX went to work. After completion checked Documents and Files all seems fine. Whilst on the subject of system cleansing could anyone also recommend a Anti Virus Program for Macs? I understand Macs are less vulnerable to catching viruses but would feel better to have a program backed up in the system just in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NO Mac VIRUS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you really need to suss out the what and what not of it all....
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/23835-official-mac-antivirus-firewall-faq.html
Anyone running windows should and does have anti virus software running..... and if not, it's their fault :p
You will not be effected, and if there is a chance of anything happening, I have no doubt that you will see it on the news, forums, current affairs programmes, messages from Apple, you name it, you will know about it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Will +100 on what my mate 6string has said. There is no know virus in the wild for Mac OS..... YES there is a cpl of Trojans but unless you Torrent DL a 09 iLife or similar your Mac is safe as the Bank of England....

Dont wast your $ and they are such a resource hog it isnt funny ...

DONT DO IT

Cheers

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
So are you saying Macs can't catch viruses?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So are you saying Macs can't catch viruses?

No one says Macs can't get a virus. However, there ain't none.

There are a couple of Trojans that hit the wild about a year and 1/2 ago. The OS has already been patched for them. The only way you could get either one of them was to download and install pirated software or a supposed "video" codec from certain unsavory video sites. You had to put in your master password to install either one of them.

The last major virus to affect Macs was in OS 7 around 1997. We are now on OS 10.6.4. There is no "drive by a web site" and get infected. There are no "open the wrong jpeg" you received in your email and get infected.

Here, check this list out.

The truth about Mac malware. It's a joke - War on Error - Blogs - Technology Blog and Community from IT Experts - Techworld.com

Those trojans are listed there along with the rest of the stuff from over 10 years ago that hasn't been able to infect OS X, ever.

Have a read of this one:

Antivirus Software for Mac: What Malware Protection is Needed?

That one, like all the other ones you'll read by the folks in the security field and those selling the anti-virus software, here is what they say over and over and over...

Apple implies in its marketing campaigns that Macs can't get viruses, which is not strictly true.

This is true enough, Macs could get a virus maybe... if anyone ever decides to write one.

and...

According to Jack Schofield, computer editor at the Guardian, there is almost no malware that targets Macs "in the wild" – but that doesn't mean that the Mac OS is as secure as it could be. For example, he says Safari, Apple's web browser, is known in Internet security circles to have a number of weaknesses which can be exploited.

Well, believe I'll wait until people start writing code to take advantage of these weaknesses before I install another app on my machine. I've been waiting for almost 4 years now since my first Mac.

and again...

Though Macs aren't as tempting a target for virus-writers, they are not virus-proof. Apple's operating system can still be exploited by malware, and, even if Macs aren't attacked directly, they can unwittingly pass along viruses and the like to computers running Windows.

A Mac could be exploited by malware, just as soon as someone writes some code. That little line in there that says "...even if Macs aren't attacked directly...", that's their round about way of saying that Macs haven't been attacked directly.

Yes, you could get some virus in an email someone sends you. While it wouldn't be able to affect OS X, you could forward it on to your Windows using friends. And hopefully they'll have their anti-virus software to deal with it. Know I do on all of my Windows machines here.

So, while a Mac could get a virus, someone will have to write one. And since there hasn't been one in over 10 years, it'll be on every media outlet from TV, to radio, to newspaper, to everyone of your favorite tech blogs within hours after it's been discovered.

For more and the top three reasons you should install an anti-virus on your Mac, see the following thread.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Interesting articles, pretty much looks like all Mac users are secure then... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Pretty much. But, we should still watch what we do. Unsafe behavior could lead to a compromised machine.

Don't let others use your machine from your account or another admin account. My wife is not even allowed to log into the admin account on my machine and I do not use her machine from her admin account except when she's wanting me to do something specific.

Don't download illegal stuff. From music to movies to software. This is the first place those writing code are likely to put their nasty stuff. If you're downloading pirated stuff, then imho, you get what you deserve.

Don't install stuff that you don't know/trust the source.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.