iPod Touch Can't Connect to WiFi

Reaction score
Okay, figured I'd give y'all a little back-round info about my iPod Touch. It's an 8 gig, Version 2.2.1 (5H11). I let my cousin borrow this device about one year ago in hopes that we would develop Apps together, (him being the programming mastermind and me being the creative genius). You know, typical Woz and Jobs scenario. Anyways, he was too busy with school to even really get going with the whole thing so I've acquired my iTouch back today. I plugged it into my mac, restored it, put some music on it, a few pictures, etc.

Just when I thought I was ready to be done getting it setup, I realized I can't connect it to my WiFi network. Now, I have my iMacG5, my cousin's iBook, my iPhone 3G, and my Xbox 360 all hooked up and running on the internet. The Xbox is plugged into an ethernet cable but everything else is running wireless so this is clearly an issue with just the iPod touch and not my wireless router. Also, before I gave my cousin this device I had used it on a Wifi network before, so this is a new issue, (and obviously my cousin has no idea why the device has mysteriously stopped receiving WiFi signals).

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this, or can we all assume that my cousin dropped this device and damaged the Wifi somehow making it a hardware issue rather than a software issue?

Thank you,

-Heff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
I know your WiFi is turned on, so I won't even ask.

wifi.jpg

Do you see the WiFi signal strength indicator?

screenshot2.jpg

I know it is a very risky thing to do, but you may want to "unlock" your router and see if it shows up. In addition to other security measures, I also only allow the MAC addresses I want onto my system, so that may also be an issue.

OP
H
Reaction score
Nope, it doesn't show the signal indicator, but that's the second step if you will. I won't even locate my password protected network. But this device has located this network before, and my other devices can locate my network, so I'm worried this is a hardware issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Well then the next step might be to go to a McDonalds or Starbucks or some place that has free WiFi and see if you can connect there and that way you can tell if it is your iPod or something in your router settings.

OP
H
Reaction score
That sounds like a good troubleshoot, and I appreciate the suggestion, but I was hoping for something more technical. I will try that though, there's a mcdonalds not too far away from me. I just don't understand why my iphone can locate the network but my touch can't.

I never had to configure anything for it before, just opened up the settings, selected wifi, turned it on, and picked my network. Thing is, it never even shows my network, it just keeps searching and searching so I know something's wrong, I really hope it isn't hardware related...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, what version of iOS did you put on the iPod Touch when you got it back from your friend?

OP
H
Reaction score
I didn't update it, I just restored it. It says it's at 2.2.1 and up to date.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I didn't update it, I just restored it. It says it's at 2.2.1 and up to date.

Ok, that is not the issue then. I was wondering if maybe 4.0 got installed and that might be causing your issue.

Did you try doing another restore?

OP
H
Reaction score
No, didn't think to try it. But i'm gonna go try connecting to a different network, see how that goes. If that doesn't work, I'll try restoring it again.

OP
H
Reaction score
Update: I went to mcdonalds with my iphone and my itouch, The iphone picked up two available networks, the ipod did not. I'm gonna attempt another restore, but I don't think it's gonna do anything. Does Apple offer free tech support for iPod touches? Or do you have to be covered under applecare?

OP
H
Reaction score
I just restored it again, still no WiFi. I also snooped around at apple.com for some support and tried reseting the network settings but that didn't help either. Dead end after dead end. Anyone got anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
No, but it sounds like you have an iPod without ears! You can try Apple Care on Monday, but I can't think of anything else they can do that you haven't already tried. Since this appears to be a 1st generation iPod, you are probably just better off getting a new one since Apple doesn't actually fix your broken unit. The last time I checked, they have you send in your non-functioning unit along with $199 (and you also pay for shipping of course), and they send you a refurbished unit.

Wal Mart has 8gb iPod Touch units for less than $175.00, so why would you send yours to Apple? As far as dealing with your cousin, that is up to you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
Check with your cousin, but when my wife's iPhone was doing THE EXACT SAME THING she neglected to tell me she dropped it in the toilet and quickly got it out, let it dry, and the only thing that failed to work was the wifi receiver, had to get an out of warranty replacement from the apple store. Ask your cuz if he got it wet, I know it's a longshot but you never know.

OP
H
Reaction score
Even if I asked him, I know he'd say nothing bad happened to it. He's a very honest person and down to Earth, if he did do something to it he would have told me. Perhaps something happened to it without him realizing it. Or it could just be Apple slipping up on the game. I've been so frustrated with my iPhone 3G lately. I wanna smash it! Drives me nuts how slow it is now.

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. I've used my Ipod touch at my girlfriends for probably two months religiously. Just the other day it stopped working. It can find the wifi and even show the signal sometimes but does not connect. My girlfriends newer Macbook Pro can connect. (I'm posting this from it!) but neither of our ipod touches can connect nor my older macbook pro.... ***?? This all just happened like 4-5 days ago

Reaction score
I have just bought the latest ipod touch and I seem to have the same problem!!! It recognises my wireless network, but when I tap in the password, it tells me it can't access the network!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.