changing LAN from 10.4 to 10.6

Reaction score
Problem: New MacBookPro with OS 10.6.4 can't see the HP 2100 TN printer on the network.

Currently use several mac's with OS 10.4 at the office and connect to eachother, the server and the 10 yr old HP laser printer 2100 TN - all but the macbook pro use cat-5 and the macbook pro connects via airport extreme. My 4 year old macbook pro is ready to bite the dust so got a new macbook with 10.6.4 installed.

I got it to connect to the server and internet via the airport extreme but it can't "see" the printer. The printer is hardwired (cat-5) to the hub as is the airport extreme. I tried connecting the new Macbook pro by hardwire (cat 5) to the network but it still couldn't "see" my printer.

My understanding that previous OS use appletalk to communicate with peripherals but OS 10.6 no longer does, so what is my next step???

Thanks
GW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If the printer is hardwired to the hub then you should be able to add a printer using the hp jet direct socket. You will need the ip address of the printer and will probably have to manually add it.

System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> hit the + sign at the middle right hand corner below the printer list -> select the ip tab -> for protocol select hp jetdirect socket -> then type in the ip address.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks, now for part 2

Thanks, for the support. I couldn't find any way to get an IP address into the add printer IP address window, (where is the IP address listed?) so entered the printer name (Printer One) and pop, it got connected, I thought, at least the icon entered the set up pane for printer set up.

When trying to print, the printer status shows the printer pausing and when clicking on "i" (for info) I am told the printer cannot be located.

I guess the glitch is entering the printer IP address, but where can I find it? I've looked at the older macs connected to the printer and their windows just show "local zone"

Thanks
GW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Below Protocol there is an address field - hilighted in the picture - here you need to put the ip address of the printer - the name(i.e. printer one) may or may not resolve depending on your network. If it finds a printer then the lower section of Name location, and type should auto-fill. You can change that stuff but it doesn't really affect anything - it's just so you can easily identify the printer.

If your question is what is the ip address of the printer - the easiest way to get it is to go to the printer - find the network configuration and get it off of there. There is usually a menu item to either show you network setup, or to print out network setup. This is pretty standard for HP printers.

Screen shot 2010-08-24 at 1.34.03 PM.png

OP
O
Reaction score
Eureka

Thanks for your time and help. My problem was finding the IP address. In days of appletalk, all seemed to go "automatically" The printer's ip address could not be found on any of the other computers connected to it (they use appletalk).

I printed the printers data sheet but unknown to me at the time to get the data sheet the two control buttons have to be simultaneously pushed, when I was off by a fraction of a second, I got a generic "about this printer page" without usable data. It took a while to figure out both buttons needed to be pressed together, then there it was, my configuration page with the all important IP address. There is a god (metaphorically speaking.)

Thanks and I hope this post helps others.

GW

Reaction score
Chhange of Address

Hi,

This almost worked. Everything went to plan until it came to "Connecting to Printer" then it stalled. I had used the IP I got from the printer yesterday, so fearing the worst, I checked again today. Sure enough, a different address. The **** thing seems to invent a new address every time the system starts up. However, even using the current address it still stalled when trying to connect. So how do I a/ fix an IP for the printer and b/ persuade the Mac to talk to it?

In hope…

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.