Pages page numbering

Reaction score
I am trying to write a book review for school and I need to have a cover page. The cover page is not supposed to be numbered and the numbers are to start on the 2nd page of the document but start counting from 1. Anyone know how to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
After about 30 minutes of trial and error, I think I have figure it out.

#1 On the first page on the bottom you need to add a "Section Break" from the insert menu.
#2 The text selector will move to the second page, don't move it for now.
#3 In the inspector under Layout>Section set like so, "Start at: "1"" and uncheck all boxes under Configuration.
content

#4 Insert the Page numbers, Insert>Auto Page Numbers and uncheck "Include number on first page"
#5 Welcome to M-F! :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
After about 30 minutes of trial and error, I think I have figure it out.

#1 On the first page on the bottom you need to add a "Section Break" from the insert menu.
#2 The text selector will move to the second page, don't move it for now.
#3 In the inspector under Layout>Section set like so, "Start at: "1"" and uncheck all boxes under Configuration.
content

#4 Insert the Page numbers, Insert>Auto Page Numbers and uncheck "Include number on first page"
#5 Welcome to M-F! :)

Wow, now that's dedication. Hope you got rep for that...

Reaction score
I am setting up a 16-page newsletter in Pages 5.6.2 and am using Page Layout, not Word Processing. Could somebody enlighten me about how to insert automatic page numbers? I used to have no trouble in doing this in Pages 9.
I'd be very grateful for help as I've spent hours trying to nut this out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I made sure it worked by opening Pages and selecting "Classic Newsletter" for my layout template. (You can make adjustments and edits to that particular template.) To get the page numbers, just click on the "Insert" menu item from the top menu items and choose "Page Numbers". From there it works the same as it does when using Pages in word processor mode.

Reaction score
I've still had no luck in inserting continuous page numbers either in Word Processing or Page Layout. I see how it should look in the template you mention, but all I get is when I choose Page Numbers from Insert, is the first page with a number and nothing in the following pages of the document. Oh for the simplicity of Pages 9!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know what to tell you as continuous page numbering works for me both in layout and WP mode. I'm not really a big fan of Pages since Apple "updated" the suite from iWork 9 to the present. I use MS Office for most of my work as I have to stay compatible with others.

Reaction score
Wow, now that's dedication. Hope you got rep for that...

Phew! Finally got it sorted. I'd been fiddling round with page numbering and changing the order of thumbnails in Pages 5.6.2 , and trying to nut out why the page numbering wouldn't go according to plan, that I must have unwittingly caused Pages memory (if such a thing exists) to wonder, 'What the **** is she doing' and caused a bank-up of failed attempts. Now I've started off from scratch - set up a blank 16 page document, given i a new name and laboriously copy/pasted the text and graphics over.
Thanks for your interest.
Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.