Want to switch and would appreciate model advice

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
I would think about getting a larger hard drive regardless if you plan on running Windows 7 through Boot Camp or not. 500 GB should cover you, I would think about a 1 TB drive later on.

As for using an external drive- whatever works for you. If you want to store your media (photos, music, videos) and documents on that external drive, I see no harm. Just remember that if you use Time Machine, you'll need to do some cleaning up and moving.

I think I can only opt for a 500 gig upgrade as a maximum on the Mini (well at least at present) I know it's possible to get at the drive myself but not sure about a 1TB in a Mini. In fact I'm not sure I've seen a 5400 rpm HD that large.

Does Time Machine backup the Windows partition as well as the Mac?

Final question - does anyone know how much space OS X and the software that comes pre-loaded on the Mac takes up. I'm trying to work out my current data size, which I know and add that to the space allocated for the system software so I can have a fair idea of HD usage even before I get the Mini.

Reaction score
I think I can only opt for a 500 gig upgrade as a maximum on the Mini (well at least at present) I know it's possible to get at the drive myself but not sure about a 1TB in a Mini. In fact I'm not sure I've seen a 5400 rpm HD that large.

Does Time Machine backup the Windows partition as well as the Mac?

Final question - does anyone know how much space OS X and the software that comes pre-loaded on the Mac takes up. I'm trying to work out my current data size, which I know and add that to the space allocated for the system software so I can have a fair idea of HD usage even before I get the Mini.

As far as I know, Snow Leopard takes up about 3-7 gigs worth of space (that's a rough cut estimate).

I wouldn't know about using Windows on a Mac- mainly because well, Windows was the reason I'm running a Mac! :)

I know there are a few Windows-Boot Camp users here though that'll answer that one.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing that does interest me and could effect an immediate purchase. The new Mac Mini is the first major upgrade for quite some time I am led to believe? If I had a wish list for the Mini it would be that Apple had fitted an i3 cpu plus a larger HD as standard. I was wondering how likely to happen that might be in the short term, if at all? I cannot see anything on the rumors forums so not that hopeful. It could be that the i3 would run to hot for that enclosure which is why it wasn't fitted in the first place? I noticed on cnet that in their review of the i3 iMac they said how hot that was now running - back casing 103 degrees when tested with a laser thermometer. That is pretty hot to say the least so it may not be a goer for the mini.

Reaction score
One thing that does interest me and could effect an immediate purchase. The new Mac Mini is the first major upgrade for quite some time I am led to believe? If I had a wish list for the Mini it would be that Apple had fitted an i3 cpu plus a larger HD as standard. I was wondering how likely to happen that might be in the short term, if at all? I cannot see anything on the rumors forums so not that hopeful. It could be that the i3 would run to hot for that enclosure which is why it wasn't fitted in the first place? I noticed on cnet that in their review of the i3 iMac they said how hot that was now running - back casing 103 degrees when tested with a laser thermometer. That is pretty hot to say the least so it may not be a goer for the mini.

The new Mac mini is a solid chunk of aluminum. The iMac's back panel is a solid chunk of aluminum. Aluminum dissipates heat. I don't know why Apple is still using the Intel C2D- probably because it is cheaper. When the i3 price drops (and possibly even the i5), Apple might do a hardware upgrade or two in the next year or two.

500 GB however, that's quite a bit of storage unless you're a heavier media editor with a lot of iTunes files to boot. I'm not savvy on the current Mac mini and how the hard drive is possibly swappable- one of the bigger reasons I like the older design- you could access ANYTHING.

Most computers will get that warm at any given time though.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new Mac mini is a solid chunk of aluminum. The iMac's back panel is a solid chunk of aluminum. Aluminum dissipates heat. I don't know why Apple is still using the Intel C2D- probably because it is cheaper. When the i3 price drops (and possibly even the i5), Apple might do a hardware upgrade or two in the next year or two.

500 GB however, that's quite a bit of storage unless you're a heavier media editor with a lot of iTunes files to boot. I'm not savvy on the current Mac mini and how the hard drive is possibly swappable- one of the bigger reasons I like the older design- you could access ANYTHING.

Most computers will get that warm at any given time though.

They reckon the HD is quite difficult to access, indeed one of the reviewers said it would have been better if the HD had been accessible instead of the RAM. You could have specified enough RAM at purchase which isn't going to change much whereas you can never have enough storage. I would pay the extra £80 and have the 500gig HD from the start. However, the CPU you can't do much about though I believe the Mini with the C2D is no slouch either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.