Want to switch and would appreciate model advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
Hi everyone, I'm new to this particular forum. I am looking to switch to a Mac. This is a decision I have thought about for a great deal of time having been a Windows user since the very early nineties.

The problem for me hence this post is just what sort of Mac to go for. I'm not looking for someone to make the decision for me but would welcome a consensus of others views.

Now to my requirements - hate Laptops so MacBook is out right at the start and please no one try to persuade me otherwise on that one.

Current position - I don't own a video camera so video editing is not required, I also do not play games and never likely to either. I do plenty of Internet browsing, use iPlayer (when my Internet connection will allow without constant buffering :Angry:) manage my photos, lots of email using Outlook with iMap, iTunes for my music and last but not least Office applications, I often work from home so good office apps essential.

It would be my intention to reinstall Vista on my current PC and use the retail copy of W7 to install on the Mac and dual boot (just in case I need it). I'm not sure at this stage whether I would purchase iWorks (depends on compatability with Windows programmes) or MS Office for Mac or install my Enterprise edition of MS Office on the Windows partition. Require a reasonable amount of storage.

Current machine - Windows 7 Quadcore 3 gig of RAM and twin 500 gig HDs though I just use one as the slave and keep it for backups only, NVidia graphics ViV machine and a 20" widescreen monitor with glossy finish. I realise that this machine is a bit over spec'd for what I use it for but the price was good.

I think that's a pretty comprehensive list for anyone to work from. Given that Mac's are not exactly budget end of the market I would be looking to get some years of good service from whatever I end up purchasing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, your choices in the desktop range would be between the Mac Mini, iMac or the Mac Pro. I don't believe the Mac Mini would be a good fit, coming from a quad core system. I would probably steer you toward the iMac as the Mac Pro would be way overkill.

So, that narrows things down a bit. The next big question is going to be how big of a screen would you like to be looking at? I think I would recommend going to look at them at an Apple Store and see which one suits you best. Then you can start to consider the specific processor speed and GPU (less important for your needs). Memory is a very simple upgrade that anyone can do and Apple tends to charge a lot more than you can get equivalent quality of memory modules from a third party, so I wouldn't let that factor steer you toward a particular module.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah...given your needs & dislikes...it pretty much narrows things down to an iMac. You just have to choose the screen size & processor speed that works for you.

Pretty simple...good luck.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Agreed. iMac is a given.

Since you're coming from a quad-core system, I might recommend going for the whole shebang and getting the i7. That ought to run like a champ.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your comments so far - as regards my current machine, I know it's a Quad but as I said way over spec'd for my needs. In fact I don't think I've ever seen it rise about 15% usage the whole time I've used it. I rarely have more than one Window open at the same time, as I say my main use is Internet and Office Apps so I would discount using my present machine as a yardstick. What about the software i.e. iWorks v Office for Mac or MS Office on the partition.

As regards screen size on the iMac, bit torn really. I wish they hadn't discontinued the 24" as that would be my ideal. I know the 27" is awesome but it might be a bit too big on my office desk if you know what I mean whereas the 21.5" is a bit small. I've heard a few mutterings that the 21.5" may well be increase to 23" or 24" next time around to compete with similar Windows all in ones.

Apart from the hefty price ticket what is wrong with the Mac Mini as I do have all the other peripherals?

Reaction score
Hi there,

With regard to the Office software, have you taken a look at Open Office? It's an open source office suite, that is compatible with M$ Office, and it's available as a download for all of the major platforms, IE: Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.

Hope this helps. :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Agreed. I use open office, and it's awesome and free. Identical to office, except it doesn't use the ribbon interface.

As far as screen size, I'd say that depends on your office environment. If you have a small desk in a small office, then I'd say go for the smaller one, to prevent eye strain. If you have a larger work-space, then jump to the 27.

You'll definitely save a few pennies if you go down on the processor (that sounded dirty, no?), but consider what you may or may not want to do. If you only plan on doing office apps and what-not for the next 5 years or so, then there's really no reason to go with the i7, but if you think at some point you may want to do a little video editing or gaming, it's best to future-proof the thing.

Also, consider the resale, as used macs still gather a pretty penny many years after they were purchased, and the higher the specs, the more money you're going to get towards purchasing your next one.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm counting down now to early retirement so gaming is definitely not for me, to be honest I've never understood the attraction but to each his own. I think what I may have to do if I settle for an iMac is to purchase online then if I start with the 27" and its OTT when it arrives I can always return it for something more discreet under DSR.

The desk and home/office aren't particularly small but the desk is one of those antique style jobbies inlaid with green leather and brass lamp, do you know what style I mean? I think that 27" may not look right in that environment but I could be wrong. Not keen on open office, don't like the UI plus I don't mind paying for the software. Which would be better, Office for Mac or iWorks? I want work colleagues to be able to access information I provide without any issues.

Has no one any comeback for me on the questions I asked about the Mac Mini?

Reaction score
I'm counting down now to early retirement so gaming is definitely not for me, to be honest I've never understood the attraction but to each his own. I think what I may have to do if I settle for an iMac is to purchase online then if I start with the 27" and its OTT when it arrives I can always return it for something more discreet under DSR.

The desk and home/office aren't particularly small but the desk is one of those antique style jobbies inlaid with green leather and brass lamp, do you know what style I mean? I think that 27" may not look right in that environment but I could be wrong. Not keen on open office, don't like the UI plus I don't mind paying for the software. Which would be better, Office for Mac or iWorks? I want work colleagues to be able to access information I provide without any issues.

Has no one any comeback for me on the questions I asked about the Mac Mini?

The Mac mini is a small desktop computer- perfect for whatever you need it for- with 2.4 GHz of Intel power to back it up. I think you're good to go if you go that route. Here's the specs: Apple- Mac mini Specs

Regarding office programs:

iWork has Keynote (Powerpoint compatible), Pages (Word compatible) and Numbers (Excel compatible)- and nothing else. It's your decision, but be forewarned that anything you create in iWork or even Microsoft Office for Mac may not carry over the same details (visual etc.) on a Windows computer running Office or OpenOffice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard
Second on the Mac Mini -- you can continue using your existing monitor and mouse. I wouldn't advise using a 'Doze keyboard for a Mac though; The Delete key on a Mac does the same thing as Backspace in the Windows world -- so Mac keyboards have the Delete key in the same place as backspace. As a touch typist, I would go absolutely bonkers if I had to get used to a new key position to delete.

It's tough enough to get used to the Command key (equivalent of CTRL) being where I expect an Alt key instead, especially since I switch back between Mac and Linux regularly. A different position on the Delete key would be a dealbreaker.

C

chas_m

Third on the Mac mini, since then you can either use your existing monitor or buy one the perfect size for your needs.

An iMac is lovely but very comparable to your current "over-spec'd" PC so I don't see any reason to spend the money.

As for office-type software: iWork is very compatible with Office by and large, and a **** of lot more fun to use (with VASTLY better-looking results I might add!). 95% of people using MS Office only use its most basic functions, so I generally recommend iWork unless one is *constantly* exchanging complex documents with PC users, in which case OpenOffice or genuine MS Office is probably the way to go.

I also second Citizen Bleys' suggestion of NOT using a Windows keyboard; after a brief bit of "muscle memory" awkwardness you'll be FAR more productive on a real Mac keyboard.

Lastly, I would point you to this essay of mine found elsewhere on this forum, particularly the counsel on installing Windows.

Reaction score
Another vote for the Mac Mini. :) I got one back in February and for a little box, it has all the power I need for browsing, email, itunes, and the occasional logo using Art Text 2. :)

Reaction score
Second on the Mac Mini -- you can continue using your existing monitor and mouse. I wouldn't advise using a 'Doze keyboard for a Mac though; The Delete key on a Mac does the same thing as Backspace in the Windows world -- so Mac keyboards have the Delete key in the same place as backspace. As a touch typist, I would go absolutely bonkers if I had to get used to a new key position to delete.

It's tough enough to get used to the Command key (equivalent of CTRL) being where I expect an Alt key instead, especially since I switch back between Mac and Linux regularly. A different position on the Delete key would be a dealbreaker.

The Windows key is mapped as the Command key on a Mac. But as far as CTRL goes- they do two completely different things when you compare Mac to Windows.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm! a lot to think about here then. I didn't realise the differences regarding the keyboard I have to say. Given I touch type up to 100 words a minute that would definitely be an issue then. Do you all find it difficult switching back and forth with Windows keyboards which is what I would have to do for work?

I do like the Mac Mini, very nice design though the standard HD at 350 gig is very poor and I would have to opt for the 500 gig version if I went down that route.

Which keyboard would you recommend?

A well know store still has some of the outgoing 21.5" iMac's with 1 terabyte HD and the Nvidia integrated graphics chip for £999. I'm not sure given my particular needs if the latest i3 models would be of any benefit to me and I have to say I'm tempted.

Reaction score
Hmm! a lot to think about here then. I didn't realise the differences regarding the keyboard I have to say. Given I touch type up to 100 words a minute that would definitely be an issue then. Do you all find it difficult switching back and forth with Windows keyboards which is what I would have to do for work?

I do like the Mac Mini, very nice design though the standard HD at 350 gig is very poor and I would have to opt for the 500 gig version if I went down that route.

Which keyboard would you recommend?

A well know store still has some of the outgoing 21.5" iMac's with 1 terabyte HD and the Nvidia integrated graphics chip for £999. I'm not sure given my particular needs if the latest i3 models would be of any benefit to me and I have to say I'm tempted.

You shouldn't have any trouble between a Mac keyboard and one that works with Windows- the difficulty isn't a steep learning curve. The few things you'll need to get used to in order to get the most out of your Mac are the function keys (on most modern Apple keyboards, there are Display Brightness, Expose, Dashboard, iTunes/Playback, volume and eject). Using the fn key (function) you can do things the old Apple way (F11 and F12 I think are Expose feature keys dating back to Tiger or Panther).

As for the Mac mini, based on what you're saying that you need, I'd recommend this configuration:

2.66 GHz Intel C2D
500 GB HDD
2 GB RAM (you can go up to 8 as supported, 16 unsupported if I'm not mistaken)
iWork or Office for Mac

The Mac mini comes built in with HDMI and the nVidia graphics card (which I think isn't the same, might be wrong).

Now, the Mac mini does come in a server configuration, which puts two 500 GB HDD's in the computer, and opts out the disc drive. Apple sells a separate disc drive I think.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You shouldn't have any trouble between a Mac keyboard and one that works with Windows- the difficulty isn't a steep learning curve. The few things you'll need to get used to in order to get the most out of your Mac are the function keys (on most modern Apple keyboards, there are Display Brightness, Expose, Dashboard, iTunes/Playback, volume and eject). Using the fn key (function) you can do things the old Apple way (F11 and F12 I think are Expose feature keys dating back to Tiger or Panther).

As for the Mac mini, based on what you're saying that you need, I'd recommend this configuration:

2.66 GHz Intel C2D
500 GB HDD
2 GB RAM (you can go up to 8 as supported, 16 unsupported if I'm not mistaken)
iWork or Office for Mac

The Mac mini comes built in with HDMI and the nVidia graphics card (which I think isn't the same, might be wrong).

Now, the Mac mini does come in a server configuration, which puts two 500 GB HDD's in the computer, and opts out the disc drive. Apple sells a separate disc drive I think.

One final issue and I'm sure that it's something I would just have to live with. I prefer to buy my products from John Lewis, for a start you get an extra years warranty and they are an excellent firm to do business with. However, it appears I can only configure a Mac Mini from Apple direct? This I'm less than happy with and the standard 320 gig HD really is a paltry amount of storage in this day and age especially as I would be looking at keeping the Mini for some time. How do you Mac Mini owners manage with such a small amount of storage?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
One final issue and I'm sure that it's something I would just have to live with. I prefer to buy my products from John Lewis, for a start you get an extra years warranty and they are an excellent firm to do business with. However, it appears I can only configure a Mac Mini from Apple direct? This I'm less than happy with and the standard 320 gig HD really is a paltry amount of storage in this day and age especially as I would be looking at keeping the Mini for some time. How do you Mac Mini owners manage with such a small amount of storage?

They use an external HDD or upgrade the internal HDD with a larger capacity HDD.

Reaction score

You can easily change out the RAM- I'm not quite sure on the hard drive however.

But if you think 320 GB is bad, you should've purchased a Mac mini early last year because, heh, 120 GB is even smaller! :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if I wanted to dual boot with W7, given the limited amount of storage on the Mini how much of the drive would you give over to Windows and would it be better to just install Windows and the bare minimum of software I need and store any data on an external HD but keep the Apple data on the Mini?

I think I am going to go this route rather than the iMac and I'm getting a 24" monitor this week (almost new) off someone who is emigrating.

Reaction score
So if I wanted to dual boot with W7, given the limited amount of storage on the Mini how much of the drive would you give over to Windows and would it be better to just install Windows and the bare minimum of software I need and store any data on an external HD but keep the Apple data on the Mini?

I think I am going to go this route rather than the iMac and I'm getting a 24" monitor this week (almost new) off someone who is emigrating.

I would think about getting a larger hard drive regardless if you plan on running Windows 7 through Boot Camp or not. 500 GB should cover you, I would think about a 1 TB drive later on.

As for using an external drive- whatever works for you. If you want to store your media (photos, music, videos) and documents on that external drive, I see no harm. Just remember that if you use Time Machine, you'll need to do some cleaning up and moving.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.