• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.avi to iDVD (mpeg streamclip)

Reaction score
Hiya,

I have a series of avi files that I would like to make into a DVD through iDVD, but I know that iDVD is funny about what format it does and doesn't allow.

I have mpeg streamclip but I'm not really sure what settings to use. I don't want to lose quality, that said, I don't plan on doing any editing, do I don't need (ie) DV quality.

I'm assuming that I'll have to export as some form of mpeg or quicktime movie, but I get confused on all the options.

Any help would be much appreciated

C

chas_m

When you say "a series of AVI files" how long (in running time) are these files? A standard DVD can hold no more than two hours' worth.

Or did you mean you want to take a single AVI file, make a DVD of it, take another AVI file and make a DVD of it (etc)?

OP
K
Reaction score
avi files are about 45 minutes at 250-300 megs each.

I've googled lots of converters, and have tried them but they're all so difficult to use if you don't know what you're doing. i'm open for suggestions but I need my hand held.

C

chas_m

If you find MPEG Streamclip difficult, I second the vote for Toast. It doesn't get any simpler than that: drop in three of your AVI files, wait a while, then you have a burned DVD with a basic menu (if you wish) that plays on your TV. Done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.