Hooking Mac to TV-Getting background only

Reaction score
I have hooked my MBP to TV via HDMI but all my Tv shows is the galaxy background (which isnt even my MBP background) How do I get a movie or something I am watching online to show up on the TV? thanks

Reaction score
I have hooked my MBP to TV via HDMI but all my Tv shows is the galaxy background (which isnt even my MBP background) How do I get a movie or something I am watching online to show up on the TV? thanks

Drag the window over towards the right (default).

Go to:

System Preferences>Displays

There are options that are there when you hook up an external display that allow you to position the display at any angle on any side from the main desktop screen.

By default- Apple has set up external displays to the default wallpaper- and yes, they are changeable. Mac OS X remembers backgrounds for other displays as well, so if you plug it into a 19" monitor, it'll show the Aurora, while your TV may have something else (if you changed it). By default though- Aurora is the wallpaper for all external displays.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks.Im still not sure. I got the Tv to display my MBP in mirroring mode, but no other way. Also, I wasn't getting any sound on the Tv although I have a brand new 2010 model which passes audio through HDMI. Any ideas? thx

OP
C
Reaction score
OK solved the audio problem through switching audio output. But still can only get screen in mirroring mode. thx

Reaction score
OK solved the audio problem through switching audio output. But still can only get screen in mirroring mode. thx

That's a bit odd considering you should be able to get it in extended mode. Maybe it's your adapter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I got the Tv to display my MBP in mirroring mode, but no other way.
From what you have written so far it sounds like your MBP is detecting the TV. Mirroring mode shows a copy of your MBP screen onto the TV as the name implies. If you don't use mirroring mode then it should treat your TV as a second external monitor.

You then need to pay attention to where the second screen is in the display preferences. This will tell you where you can drag your files or applications you want to open in the second monitor (TV).

Is there a reason why you don't want to use mirroring mode? Are you trying to use your Mac while watching something on the TV through your computer? If that is the case then just drag the video to the TV monitor as I have mentioned above. Watching something in full screen mode will probably only show in the main monitor so you will just have to watch in a window and enlarge the window manually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.