Broken Display or, as I call it: Broken Glass Image

Reaction score
My 17",2006 iMac is giving me some problems and this is how it looks like:
http://s750.photobucket.com/albums/xx148/MrScade/?action=view&current=DSC04822.jpg

http://s750.photobucket.com/albums/xx148/MrScade/?action=view&current=DSC04821.jpg

The problem appears at random and it doesn't affect anything besides the image; I can still work and do everything as usual but, as you can see, I can't see a bloody thing.

The problem appeared a couple of months ago after the local MacStore changed a disc driver I had and updating from Tiger to Snow Leopard. This problem also won't appear when the room is cool enough and it will go away as soon as I turn on an AC and wait long enough for the room to cool down.
The problem will go away for a while if I restart the computer or go into stand-by or if it enters screen saver mode.

As far as I am concerned, that's all there is to know about it.

I appreciate any help or information or insight.

Thanks.

C

chas_m

Hard to say exactly what the problem is (my guess involves someone not replacing the thermal paste while they were in there). I'm not sure what you mean by "changing a disc driver," but either way you should show this to the store where the repair was done.

Of course, you should have done this two months ago, but still -- if that's when the problem started, then chances are high they didn't do something properly.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Graphical distortion is common when the GPU starts to overheat. My guess is you've either got a faulty fan, or as chas said, someone did a faulty repair.

My guess is the heatsink for the GPU was removed and reseated without replacing the thermal paste -- or they replaced the thermal paste, but slathered it on. Too much thermal paste will act as an insulator, instead of bridging the gap between the heatsink and the processor surface.

Was this repair shop an actual Apple Store, or a "mom and pop" type of shop?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will 3rd that. Totally agree with CWA and Chas. Looks like the GPU is overheating. Take it back to who changed the Disk Drive(???) and make them fix it.

BTW, By Disk Drive do you mean the DVD (Optical) drive or the Hard Drive?

Someone did not either put HS Grease on the GPU or the Heat Pipe is not installed correctly. I hope the GPU is not damaged, but since the issue happened after their repair, they are responsible!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I read that post several times.... It doesn't make sense that whoever did the repair, whether it was to replace the hard drive or optical drive, would mess with the logic board where the GPU is mounted. Either the OP is not telling us the complete story, or his local "MacStore" was messing around in an area they shouldn't have. I too agree with cw107 and chas_m that it sure looks like an overheating problem - a serious one.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.