2006 MBP Screen Problem- Please Help

Reaction score
I have a 2006 MBP, 2.16 C2D with ATI X1600 graphics card, and I have been having trouble with the screen.

For some odd reason, some colors will not appear correctly on the screen, instead there will be a series of red lines that I can actually move around the screen if I drag the image. And now the screen is starting to become dim.

I have done a lot of online research, and I know that there is a defect with the x1600 card that causes it to fail and cause similar problems, but the thing is that the computer is able to output to an external screen just fine. Can a graphics card burn out and only effect the built in screen and not the external display?

Any Help Would be Great!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, if the graphics chipset were defective it would also show up on the external monitor. What you may be seeing is a defect in the internal LCD display itself. It could also be caused by software but that's doubtful.

The next time it happens, take a screenshot. If the screenshot is OK, then we can assume it's the LCD display.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for your response

Thank you chscag for your response, I have attached a picture of what my screen currently looks like. Do you think that the whole screen needs to be replaced or perhaps just a video cable has come lose? Thanks in advance!

IMG_0042.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could be a loose video cable - either end. One end goes to a connector on the logic board, the other to the LCD. Or, it could be a defective LCD panel.

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the take apart instructions for your model MBP. Take the machine apart carefully and inspect the cables and connectors to see if any are loose or damaged (pinched). Most of the cabling funnels its way up thru the hinge area so be careful.

If everything checks out OK, it may be the LCD panel itself which is defective. In that case, only a new panel will resolve the problem. If you don't feel comfortable taking the machine apart, take it on in to an authorized Apple repair center or reseller.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.