I lost my recording, need help pleaaaaase

Reaction score
Hello everyone

here is the story,

i recorded some data at a party i had 2 weeks ago. i used quicktime
the file size was about 173 MB and named Audio2 , its about 2 hours.

anyways i wanted to trim a part of the recording, i cut what i wanted about 9 min, and saved it with the same name Audio2 by mistake so i basically overwrite . !!!

now, the size is still the same 173 MB which tells me the whole recording is there

how the **** do i get back???? pleaaase help me out fellas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
You can try "Revert to saved" (Not sure what that does) in the file menu but I'm not hopeful.

C

chas_m

"Revert to Saved" only works if you DIDN'T overwrite the recording, which the OP did, so that's not going to work.

If he was using Time Machine (and why wouldn't he be?), then you can just roll back to two weeks ago and retrieve the original recording. Otherwise, he can start kicking himself for not doing backups now.

OP
A
Reaction score
"Revert to Saved" only works if you DIDN'T overwrite the recording, which the OP did, so that's not going to work.

If he was using Time Machine (and why wouldn't he be?), then you can just roll back to two weeks ago and retrieve the original recording. Otherwise, he can start kicking himself for not doing backups now.

i have time machine on my laptop but i never used it, i dont even know what it does

this may sound weird i know but would it work now?? it was never on!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
TimeMachine only works if you set it up and have a external HD for it to backup on.
So sadly, no it will not help you now.

I recommend getting an external HD that is always plugged in or at least sometimes and set up TimeMachine to do its thing.
Mac 101: Time Machine

OP
A
Reaction score
shooooot

umm the size of the file has not changed before and after ? any explanation ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
well, i am afraid that the previous file can not get back......sorry, i have no idea, if you get the solution, i will be waiting for other better suggestion.....

C

chas_m

It's a pity -- this is EXACTLY the sort of thing Time Machine is sooooo useful for.

But yeah, if you're sure you overwrote the file (do a search, maybe you got lucky), that's basically the end of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.