Help with itunes....DRIVING ME NUTS!!

Reaction score
I have the problem that Itunes keeps running the setup wizard each time it starts and losing all preference settings. I have seen this problem posted related to PC's but have found no solution to this for Macs (10.5). Does anybody out there have the answer as I have spent hours trying to figure this out with zero sucess :Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've never seen that happen with iTunes. Try completely removing iTunes, download the latest version and reinstall. If it happens again, post back to this same thread.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. OK I have unistalled itunes using the method described here Removing iTunes for Mac OS X Downloaded latest version and installed. Exactly the same problem. Setup assistant starts up every time. Really don't know what's going on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You could try repairing permissions in Disk Utility. This may solve the issue.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try moving com.apple.iTunes.plist from ~/Library/Preferences (~ is shorthand for your home directory) to your Desktop and restarting iTunes. Does it still happen?

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys! Moving the plist file, which I guess forces iTunes to create a new file solved the problem! Many many thanks :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.