• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Capturing YouTube from Cache?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can help me.

I watched a YouTube video in Safari last night and overnight the author deleted it from YouTube. It happened that I didn't close the window it was in though and it was fully loaded into my cache so at this time, until I change the page or close the window (neither of which I've done) I can still view the video.

I'd like to capture it.

I searched on the 'net and tried what I could find, which was this:

"Open the page with the movie and press Command-Option-A, which shows the Activity window. If you're also loading other sites, you'll see a list of them: scroll until you find the YouTube page and click on the arrow to show details about what is being loaded. You will certainly notice an element whose size is over 0.5MB (most of the time, over 5MB). Double-click on it (even if it is still loading), and Safari will download it. When the download is over, navigate to the file in the Finder (which will probably be called get_video) and add the extension .flv to its name. Now you can play it with VLC or with QuickTime."

I got as far as double-clicking on the 32MB element. Safari tries to download it but after a moment my download box says, "You do not have permission to access the request."

Any other way I can save the video from my Safari cache?

Thanks

Macbook Pro, OS X 10.6.4, Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Technically, when you go thru that method, you're actually accessing the activity, and double clicking on that link initiates a new download from the remote location rather then viewing/loading from cache.

Look at this tip:

Save Flash video files from local cache - Mac OS X Hints

But not the tip itself - scroll down into the comments - the tip was pre-leopard, the comments talk about where to look in leopard (and possibly in snow leopard, I don't know ) - but you have to go there prior to rebooting as the folders are cleared on restart.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks, Nethfel. Unfortunately when I try to go to the folder /private/var/folders/ee/, it tells me the folder can't be found.

Crap.

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Since theses folders are temporary folders they may not always have the same name, go to /private/var/folders/
Navigate into the top folder and onwards till you come to the -TMP- folder and check all of the folders in there for files.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks McYukon...that did get me a little further. Except this is where my computer idiocy starts to come in (I follow directions very well but usually don't know how/what to do things on my own).

I don't know how to do a screen capture from a Finder screen but when I follow your directions, this is what I see when I see anything to do with the inside of the -Tmp- (that's how it's written) folder:

NAME................................DATE MODIFIED...................SIZE.......KIND
com.apple.notify.93.16.........Aug 16, 2010 10:28am.......Zero KB.......--
hsperdata_Sharon...............Aug 17, 2010 10:55pm...........--.........Folder
PreviewTemp-FV177S..........Aug 17, 2010 11:22pm............--........Folder

Under that is also a TemporaryItems folder but there is nothing in it when I click on it.

So with this information, please, what would I have to do next? (BTW, that "Sharon" is my name, is all).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Ok, I just tested this with a YouTube video.
If you haven't quitted Safari, there should be a file in the TemporaryItems folder called "FlashTmp1", "FlashTmp2" .etc. If not then you can forget it :(

Copy the "FlashTmp#" file out of the folder to the desktop/.etc and edit its name to read "somename.flv" (the .flv is very important!).
Finder will alert you if you really want to add .flv which we most definitely want to do.
Now you can double click it and it will open in RealPlayer if you have it. Or if you have Perian installed you can quicklook it in the Finder.
Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

And how do I take screenshots in Mac OS X?
http://www.maciverse.com/taking-screenshots-on-your-mac-tips-tricks.html

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks McYukon. Unfortunately, I double-checked and that TemporaryItems folder is empty. Nothing in it at all.

I guess I'm out of luck, then? If so, well, crap. ;-(

But thanks for showing me how to do screen shots ;-) For someone who has owned computers since HS graduation in 1984 (no need to get out the calculators. I'm 44), I know I SHOULD know how to do more of the basic stuff like that but it winds up slipping right by me.

Unless there are any other suggestions, thanks anyway! I appreciate the time you took in trying to help.

Reaction score
I know it's a bit late..

I am sure you have dropped the page since you first asked so it won't help you for the original need. However, this may come in handy later on. I'm not sure if it is possible to capture it the way you are (were) trying to capture it. I know that you could have tried using quicktime player to capture a screen recording and a separate audio recording. You would have to edit the two together to align properly and it would be much more work than just a simple copy like you expected, but you would have your product. Hopefully this could be the fix you need for any later requirements.

Giovanni

OP
L
Reaction score
Giovanni, I could not believe that I got another reply to this, 2.5 years after my original question, LOL! Thank-you and, of course, I did drop the page (as well as the computer, LOL) a long time ago. But I will keep your suggestion in mind for the future, should something like that ever come up again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.