HELP problem adding users

Reaction score
I didn't find anything similar when searching so here goes.

I am using snow leopard on both imac and mac Pro computers. Whenever I need to add new users (it is a research lab with new people coming) I do the following:
1. Log in as me
2. Go to System Preferences > Accounts
3. Click lock and type in administrator information
4. Click the plus sign to add new user
5. type in user name, account name, password and verify password
6. Click "Create Account" button

When I click the button at the end the beachball comes up and the computer slows down drastically. I let the computer set and when I came back two days later it was still stuck there. The only thing I can do is force quit the computer or shut it down.
Whenever I go to add the user again it won't let me because it says the user already exists though it is not in the user list.

What do I need to do to either get the user into the user list or to delete it so I can retry it. I have 6 computers that I need to add the new users to and it will make life a lot easier if the user name is the same on all of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
I would try using a terminal utility command (dscl) to delete the user.

dscl . -delete /Users/username

This will delete the user, but not the home folder (if there is one).
But you could just manually delete the home folder anyway.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks. I was not aware of the dscl command.

Can anyone think of an explanation as to why it freezes up in the first place?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
That would be very tough to say. Haven't heard of this as a widespread problem. We would all just be guessing....let's just hope that this solution works and it allows you to recreate the user again without issue.

Reaction score
Attempted delete as Admin - permission error

Hello,

I've experience this same issue and attempted the terminal command you recommend logged in as administrator and get a permissions error.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.