MacBook wireless connection via PPPoE

Reaction score
I'm out in Asia, where PPPoE via DSL reigns supreme. The apartment I'm in doesn't have a local router providing NAT--rather, it seems like everyone here just connects directly to a PPPoE server provided by the ISP. This is also apparently available via WiFi, but I can't seem to set up a proper wireless connection via the OS's AirPort settings dialog (accessed via the taskbar).

One problem is that the AirPort dialog makes no mention of PPPoE whatsoever. DHCP, BootP, and static IP seem to be the only TCP/IP options. The only way I can get PPPoE and AirPort in the same context is by clicking on "Diagnose" when it can't establish a normal WiFi connection. I'm not sure what the exact problem is, but the AirPort dialog doesn't seem ever to ask me for both the WPA password AND the PPPoE username/password pair at the same time.

I can connect via PPPoE successfully using an Ethernet cable, and the Windows-equipped people in the apartment can connect wirelessly via PPPoE with no issues. Any ideas on how I can get AirPort to Do The Right Thing?

(Apologies if this is an old topic, but I'm having trouble finding forum messages that relate to this precise problem. Most discussion on the internet involves an AirPort-branded router, which I do not have. It's a little unfortunate that the hardware and the system utility share the same name.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Easiest way to get it going is to use a router. Just plug the DSL cable in to the router and ethernet cable from the router to your Mac. The router setup menu will have choices for PPPoE, security, DHCP, DNS, SSID, etc. Once the router is setup correctly via an ethernet cable, turn on its wireless radio. Airport will detect it automatically and you should be in business. Make sure you broadcast the SSID from the router and set security to WPA2. (Once wireless is working, unplug the ethernet cable.)

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Getting a router is certainly the nuclear option. But since it isn't my apartment and I'm here only temporarily, I don't necessarily want to impose a different WiFi setup. So I'm wondering if there's a more convenient option that is supported by the OS itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.