Using Iphone abroad

N

ndkarp

Hi,

I have an iphone 4; my ATT account is in its second month of the contract, so unfortunately I do not have the unlimited data plan. I am going abroad for 3 months in a week and I have successfully jailbroken and unlocked the phone so that I can buy prepaid sim-cards while abroad to use the local networks. I have chosen this route because it allows me to save a boatload of money (since i dont pay roaming charges) and I will be able to use the iPhone in its normal capacity.

My question is, while i am abroad, how can I minimize the amount I am paying on my ATT plan back home? I fully intend to use the iphone when I get back.

Is it a good plan of action to call ATT, say that I cant pay for my iphone (or that its broken??), and ask to switch my to my plan to my previous GSM phone. Then theoretically I do not have to pay for the data plan. This sounds good but when I get back will I be able to simply call them back and switch back to using the iphone 4 and its micro sim?

What I am worried about is whether they have a policy of bricking or blocking my iphone if I switch my account to a GSM phone. I dont want to risk getting abroad, putting in a local prepaid SIM, and finding out that my iphone has somehow been blocked, or getting back and not being able to go back to my ATT plan.

Sorry for the long post but thanks for your insight.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think you have a choice. If you call AT&T and tell them your phone is broken (which would be dishonest) or, you want to go back to using another GSM phone instead, they can legally charge you the full price for your iPhone and they may in fact brick it.

If I were you, I would continue paying the monthly service fee to AT&T while abroad. When you return home you can continue using the iPhone as before.
Might cost you more that way, but it'll definitely keep you out of trouble.

Regards.

OP
C

chas_m

ISTR that AT&T has an option if you're going to be out of the country for a while -- they suspend your plan but charge you a modest fee.

It's worth talking to them about it, and yes they'll try to extoll the wonders of global roaming. Just talk past that and perhaps there's something they can do for you.

Otherwise, chscag's answer is correct.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@chas_m

I've inquired about global roaming with AT&T and T-Mobile. Both will be happy to accommodate you but at a ridiculous fee. We found it less expensive to purchase a temporary plan and phone for the duration of an oversea stay.

I know T-Mobile (my current carrier) does not have an option to suspend the contract while abroad. AT&T might have, but I rather doubt it. Worth asking though.

Regards.

Reaction score
I take my iPhone overseas all the time. I use it overseas as well. My advice is:

1. Disable Data Roaming in Settings>Network.
2. Don't use the phone much.
3. Use Wi-Fi only to access internet.

Calls will be expensive, but unless you are overseas for extended periods of time, this scheme is cheaper than signing up for ATTs international plans or buying a phone overseas.

Works for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I take my iPhone overseas all the time. I use it overseas as well. My advice is:

1. Disable Data Roaming in Settings>Network.
2. Don't use the phone much.
3. Use Wi-Fi only to access internet.

Calls will be expensive, but unless you are overseas for extended periods of time, this scheme is cheaper than signing up for ATTs international plans or buying a phone overseas.

Works for me.

He doesn't have to do that. He already jailbroke his phone and can use an overseas SIM card. I just got back from Hungary and had done this myself. I found that Vodafone offered the best data/call packages as well as being on a sort of family plan with my wife. Most companies such as vodafone or Panon etc will offer that though.

I would try and get ATT to temporarily suspend/halt your US account. Call customer relations, and try to skip customer service if possible as they will generally be more accommodating. It also depends on whom you speak with of course, as someone could be having a great or awful day.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.