Max RAM for MacBook Pro and type of RAM?

Reaction score
Hello, I have 2 MacBook pro.

The first is a MacBook Pro 15 inches, 2.8Ghz bought on late 2008.

The second is a MacBook Pro 13.3 inches, 2.4Ghz, bought few months ago.

They both have 4GB of ram.

Now I want to upgrade their RAM in order to run more applications at once. I searched around and found different answers for example about the late 2008 MacBook Pro, where some people say that its max RAM can be 4GB while others says 8GB.....Mmmmm. Can someone let me know the real answer?

And about kind of RAM is Hynix-8GB-DDR3-1066MHz-PC3-8500-SODIMM-RAM OK for both MacBook Pro? (see example at: Hynix 8GB DDR3 1066MHz PC3-8500 SODIMM RAM macbook su eBay.it Memory Upgrades, Laptop Accessories, Computing)

Any help appreciated.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Go here. Check out Memory and select your model.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the links..... But I still have few doubts,

1. the upgrade memory for the 2.8Ghz late 2008 MacBook Pro might be up to 6GB? Mmmm, or not? I also learned that using 2 banks with different RAM capacity (like 4GB and 2GB is NOT recommended!)..... :-(

2. I have mentioned the link to a vendor of RAM so I hope someone can let me know if this is OK or not to work with either Mac.

Reaction score
im not sure about the 1 ur bought in 2008, but for the 2010 one, if u try the custom made mbp on apple offical site, u will see there is 8g ram u can choose, so im guessing ur could upgrade urs to 8g.

and about the ram type, im not quite sure,sry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.