Blank boot on macbook (Late '06, black) - potential logic board fault?

Reaction score
Hey folks, after using a PC laptop for six months or so (and it really messing with my eyesight) I thought I'd try to revive my old macbook. Basically 70/80% of the time it won't turn on. There are these patterns of faulty behaviour which I hope you guys could diagnose:

1. I'll press the power button, I hear the disk noise, and the screen is black (ie not a backlight problem). The chime won't sound, I can just hear the fan and the harddive whirring. The only way to get out of this is to power it off via the power button.

2. Sometimes after it's started up successfully and I move the macbook (say, from a desk to my lap) the same thing will happen - black screen, with the rest of the stuff whirring, and if I try to shake it around nothing happens, I have to power off.

3. Occasionally when I power on, I just get the disk noise, a white screen, but no question mark, no apple logo, nothing.

4. Another time I tried to boot up with an external harddrive fitted and just got the chime over and over and over. Removing the drive solved this.

5. One time the screen just greyed out and a message in about 5 languages came up saying I needed to shut down my computer NOW.

This is NOT a harddrive fault - I saw that apple had extended the warranty on the harddrive because the question mark usually pops up for half a second at startup, and the nice guys at regent st London just whacked a new harddrive in, with a clean install of leopard (which was cool, I was previously on tiger at the time).

I read something about resetting the PRAM (which I haven't tried), but I'm guessing it's the logicboard/motherboard. If this is the case, any idea how much it costs to fix? (My macbook is out of warranty). Figures in £GBP appreciated but I can convert USD estimates. Is there any way I can try to blag a free motherboard and install from apple by exaggerating some symptoms? If you think it's any other hardware problem, I'd love to know. Thank you for your help!

A

PS I really hope it isn't FUBAR as I can't afford a new computer at this time.

C

chas_m

IF it's the logicboard, then it's Not Worth It, and no they're not going to give you a free motherboard even if you tell them you can hear Satan coming out of it.

You might find a cheap broken BlackBook of the same vintage and get their (good) logic board and do a swap, but this is still going to cost you a few hundred.

I'd suggest a refurb'd or used one of the same or later vintage.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with chas_m. Even if you could find a compatible logic board, replacing it yourself is not an easy task; lots of things can go wrong. If you can't afford a refurbished MacBook right now, buy an inexpensive netbook and use it until you can afford to buy another Mac.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
I know a guy who can install them.

however, I don't know for sure that it's the motherboard. Do you?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No way to know for sure. If you take it on in to the Apple store and they diagnose that it's the logic board, that would be some assurance. I have seen symptoms similar to yours where a new logic board resolved them. And again, I have seen others where a new logic board made no difference.

The decision is yours to make.

Regards.

Reaction score
No way to know for sure. If you take it on in to the Apple store and they diagnose that it's the logic board, that would be some assurance. I have seen symptoms similar to yours where a new logic board resolved them. And again, I have seen others where a new logic board made no difference.

The decision is yours to make.

Regards.

I am having a charging problem which is not adapter, battery or SMC resetting fixable, and I am thinking its the logic board. In your post you say sometimes the new logic board made no difference, in this instance would it have to be a harddrive problem or is there other components that could cause it?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In your situation, it may be a defective DC input board which are not expensive. I believe you can purchase one from the folks at iFixit: The free repair manual for around $30.00. They also have detailed instructions which you can download and follow. If it turns out the DC board didn't resolve the problem, you're only out the $30 plus some time.

You didn't provide any other info about your machine, so there's no way we can advise you about a new logic board.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
You didn't provide any other info about your machine, so there's no way we can advise you about a new logic board.

Regards.

Are you referring to me? What kind of information shall I provide?
most thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you referring to me? What kind of information shall I provide? most thanks

No. The last reply referred to the poster who jumped in at the end of the thread.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.