Hardware questions for my first Mac workstation!

Reaction score
Hello !

After a lot of help on this forum about how Mac works with photoshop, I've decided to make a move and get a mac, for heavy photoshop painting, but I do have a bunch of questions about the hardware, there's some things I cannot understand, I hope you have the time to help me, I'd really appreciate it :)

How do I raid SSD's without a RAID card ona 2010 Macpro? it says in the "configure your mac" that SSD's aren't compatible with a RAID card, is there an on board raid controller for a potential SSD Raid? Or should it be done the software way I read about on the net?

If I use photoshop a lot, I need the fastest cpu but not necessarilly 12 cores, though I'd like to have a lot of memory so it narrows it down to a 12 core if i want more than 16 gb
But will I experience slower photoshop performance on two 2,9 ghz Westmere's than on one 3,3 ghz westmere?

(according to this cpu benchmark site, the intel Xeon X5680 @ 3,33 ghz is more expensive but slower than the xeon X5670 @ 2,93 ghz, am I even looking at the right CPU's? it doesnt say more than "westmere" at apple's site PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

Do I need anything else than these two SSD's if I want to RAID0 them? 200GB Mercury Extreme Pro RE SSD 2.5" Seria... (SSDMXRE200) at OWC

Is it better to have a set of 3-6 when it comes to DDR3 memories or do I get the same performance if they come in pairs of 2-4-8 ? does that even matter? :p (in other words, is it better to get 24gb as 3x8gb modules than 32, 4x8 modules

Hope you have time for my noob questions :) thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.