2008 MacBook Pro Blank Screen

Reaction score
This problem began as I installed the video patch that came out today. When I rebooted after the install the display would not turn on. I get the tone when the power button is pressed and I hear the DVD drive seeking. Beyond that I have no idea what the device is doing.

I've reset the PROM and that didn't seem to make anything better.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you been making backups with Time Machine? If yes, restore from your most recent backup. The graphics patch update that was issued today has caused problems with several users.

If no backup, try starting your machine in SAFE mode. (Hold down SHIFT key as soon as you hear the chime.) When in safe mode you may be able to find the update and remove it.

Regards.

Reaction score
I've tried booting and pressing SHIFT and that didn't do anything either.

Also booting off the snow leopard dvd didn't cause anything to appear on the screen.

What's interesting is I don't get anything. Not even the little apple logo on the grey screen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless there is a hardware problem of some kind you should at least be able to boot from your Snow Leopard DVD to the install routine. If you've also tried resetting the PRAM/NVRAM will no result, it may be time to contact Apple support. Is the machine covered by Apple care? If it is, make an appointment with your local Apple store genius and have them look at it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's not covered by apple care.

My last hope is going to be to hook up an external monitor and see if can get anything to display there. I'm doubtful that it will because I'm not able to ssh into the Mac even after letting it sit for an extended time after power on.

I'll probably pull the drive get the junk off the drive that I want to keep then take it to the nearest authorized service center to have them take a look. Drive 1+ hr each way, leave it until they diagnose it, then probably gonna drive 1+ hr each way and fix it myself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.