Question on Refurbished MacBook

Reaction score
I received my refurbished MacBook from FedEx this afternoon and I have a couple questions:

1. The seal (sticker) on the sleeve was broken. Is this normal?

2. There are a few small scratches on the screen that I probably will never notice when the monitor is on, but I'm wondering if Apple will do anything about it. Should I even bother?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You paid for a refurbished Mac so IMO it should be in tip top condition. If the seal was broken I personally would not have signed for it, as you have to sign for anything Apple has sent you.
So 1stly i would be contacting the courier company and if no joy i would be ringing Apple to see what they could do. As far as you know, the courier could have opened it and scratched the screen ....
Chase it up as soon as possible. I wouldnt be happy with a scratched screen .....

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I'm not sure if box was opened, just the sleeve that the MB was wrapped in.
But yeah, a scratched screen isn't nice when it is a new product for you.

OP
A
Reaction score
The box wasn't opened, just the sticker thats placed on the protective sleeve containing the MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I bought a refurb MBP 13", it was in pristine condition, like new. The iPod that I bought refurb years ago was the same. Apple obviously has an excellent quality control when it comes to refurbished product. I would call them up and tell about those scratches. See what they say. From my experience, I would expect them to send you another one and have you send back the one you have. I think they would more than likely do it for you, since all it cost them is the shipping.

Good luck

OP
A
Reaction score
Just an update. I talked to Apple today and they offered to send me a replacement MacBook. Actually, since they are currently out of refurbs, they're sending me a new one. :D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Just an update. I talked to Apple today and they offered to send me a replacement MacBook. Actually, since they are currently out of refurbs, they're sending me a new one. :D

Now that's customer service. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Wow! Lucky you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
This is why I don't hesitate to get a refurb from Apple. Only difference is you don't get to pick and choose what goes into the unit like a new one.

OP
A
Reaction score
Another update: After not seeing an email from Apple, I called this afternoon and they didn't even want to send me a replacement, let alone a new MacBook. After getting bounced around from department to department, they finally just told me to send the refurb. back for a refund and they would give me $75 off my next Apple purchase, which I suppose will be another MacBook to replace this one. All in all, not a bad conclusion, but definitely a disappointment after yesterday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
All in all, not a bad conclusion, but definitely a disappointment after yesterday.

That it would be. Would be like being told you have won x amount of $, then to be told its only a buck .......
But in the end at least you got a good outcome. In future for anyone ringing  Take down the time, date and the name of the person you chatted to as this may well have got the NEW MB you were told you were getting :)

Then it hard for them to back down ... Anyways well done and congrats :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
Man the end of that story was depressing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.