Airport Acting Up.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My mbp just turned 4 years old this summer. It's a 15" with a 2.0ghz processor. Not sure what generation that is.. Anyways this past semester I started having problems in my dorm room with the airport express. Internet would stay connected with the express but I couldn't load a page, even if I was directly over the top of the express. Roommates macbook worked perfect.

Anyways.. since then I've installed a new hard drive and reformatted it because the os took a poop. After I reformatted my mbp started acting up again. I'm at home for the summer and we have a Linksys router here, currently not using the AE. But now instead of being connected with the wireless network, it won't connect. I can be right next to the router and my mbp won't connect. I've had other people over with different kinds of macs.. they can connect fine. Obviously the problem is with my mbp.

Wireless card shot? Any other ideas? Kinda clueless here. Thanks much in advance.

Josh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does sound like the wireless card may be faulty. When you open your System Profiler does the wireless card show up at all? (Click on Network, then on Airport) You can also use your install DVD to run the Apple Hardware Test to see if the card is OK or not. LINK

If you would like to purchase a new card, they're not expensive. Go to this web site, look up the part, and order from them: iFixit: The free repair manual and while you're there, download the instructions for changing it out.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Alrighty. I did the hardware test and no problems were found, along with the extended hardware test also.. again nothing. The wireless card also shows up in System Profiler. My mbp did also connect to the network but once I move out of the room with the router, it drops the connection.

If I have snow leopard on my mac do I need to use the hardware test from that disc.. don't think so, but maybe?

Any other suggestions?

By the way.. great site.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The hardware test from Disk is best to use because the system is booted from it which means no interference from OS X or applications.

Anyway, the Apple hardware test is not perfect. If the airport card is intermittent or just plain flaky, the AHT will not spot a problem that comes and goes. It's up to you to decided what to do at this point. Swapping out the airport card for a new one may or may not resolve the problem and it's not exactly an easy swap to do.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well it doesn't seem to be a hard install.. it's right next to the hd. I just don't really wanna spend 90 dollars if it's not going to fix the problem.

Anyone else have any insight?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.