X11 Install Befuddlement

A

abcdwebkate

X11 is giving me some problems - when I install it, neither the icon nor the xterm window shows up in xcode tools, utilities or applications. Spotlight search can't find it. When I try to install it again, it says "You can't install this - newer software version exists on your computer."

I tried to delete the unused X11sdk.pkg files in spotlight and it told me "you do not have sufficient privilages"

I went into users/me/Library and tried to delete the x11sdk.pkg in terminal with rm and rmdir to no avail.

App fac was not of much help.

apple x11 faq click here

*** i just want to run gimp :p

OP
T

thomanil

abcdwebkate said:
X11 is giving me some problems - when I install it, neither the icon nor the xterm window shows up in xcode tools, utilities or applications. Spotlight search can't find it. When I try to install it again, it says "You can't install this - newer software version exists on your computer."

I tried to delete the unused X11sdk.pkg files in spotlight and it told me "you do not have sufficient privilages"

I went into users/me/Library and tried to delete the x11sdk.pkg in terminal with rm and rmdir to no avail.

App fac was not of much help.

apple x11 faq click here

*** i just want to run gimp :p

I had the same problem. x11sdk isn't the basic x11 package, just the ... development kit for it. I don't know. :)

Anyway, the package you want is on the root of the Tiger disc, under the dir "additional\optional packages" (don't remember the exact wording.) When you install it it should appear in the application list.

The reason I had trouble with this was that on my 12" iBook screen, some of the folders on the Tiger cd were situated several rows below all others in the Finder- so I didn't think there were any more directories on the cd. Bloody stupid icon view!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.