How much memory should i give for Windows Vista partition in bootcamp?

Reaction score
Hello,

I've installed windows vista (business ediiton) onto my macbook pro (4GB ram/250GB) using the bootcamp feature.

I gave it 32GB of hard disk space because other people said that 32GB is sufficient enough for someone who installs ALOT of heavy applications like photoshop onto it. - BUT it didn't turn out to be the case & now am running out of memory.

After digging around the net i found that re-configure the partition size is kinda complicated hence i have decided to wipe out the windows partition (restore to original) and then re-install vista onto it.

My question now is: how much memory should this time i give it?
I'm thinking along the lines of half of the 250GB so that my mac OSX and Vista runs half..each

What you's think?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First of all hard drive space is not memory, it's how much room you have on the drive.

How much space you should allocate to Vista depends on just what you intend to load on the Windows partition. Allocating half of your 250 GB hard drive to Vista may leave you short on space for OS X.

Why not just buy a new large fast hard drive and swap out the one you have now that you wiped out your Win partition? Buy a nice new 500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive from here and then you can allocate 150 to 200 GB to Vista with plenty of room left for OS X.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeh. true. I've just retsored my partition. All is going well. Now that am not particular sure if i really want to install windows back on again.

Hopefully stuff i want to do can be done using a IOS aswell..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.