Map Point Substitute for MAC

Reaction score
In my work I often need to rapidly know how far it is from a city to my office.

When I ran a PC I kept a window with MapPoint open and I would just do a route from my zip code to the location in question. In a blink I would have a route, which I didn't need, and the miles to the destination, which I needed very badly.

I would use this information during phone calls to advise a potential customer about how much it would cost for me to come to their location.

Since switching to a MAC I cannot find any software that I can use as a substitute for Map Point. The closest thing I have found is to go online and use Map Quest.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can rapidly determine mileage from home to point B

Thanks

Ron Vermillion

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This has been asked before in the past. Unfortunately, MS has no intention of publishing their Map Point program for OS X. It's not because MS dislikes Apple as some would think, but because there would not be much demand for it.

As far as an OS X equivalent for Map Point, there is none. Best suggestion I can give you is to run Windows on your Mac and use Map Point that way. The free VirtualBox from Sun is an excellent way to run Windows on your Mac and does not require a reboot.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
Google Earth? will that help?

C

chas_m

Google Maps does this for me every day, and it even remembers my address so all I have to do is tap the first number or two of my address in the "A" field.

Just visit maps.google.com and try it yourself!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
Google Maps does this for me every day, and it even remembers my address so all I have to do is tap the first number or two of my address in the "A" field.

Just visit maps.google.com and try it yourself!

I was going to say that too ... but I thought he is trying to do real time tracking using his GPS (i guess !!!) then google earth has a utility where you can connect certain types of GPS ... i am not sure if that is what he wants or I am waaayyy off the topic ...

Reaction score
Replaced MapPoint with Badger Maps on my Mac

I used Mappoint for years until I changed companies and was forced into the apple world of Macs. Since they don't have Mac capabilities, I was forced to switch to badger and I've found that I actually really like it.

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum. You may want to look at the date of the threads here. You posted in a five year old thread, and since it last was opened, Apple has added Maps to OS X that does do directions.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I'll keep that in mind in the future. This is just one of the few things that I can contribute to this community because I've tried a lot of different map optimizers. Unfortunately, I know little else about macs so I just wanted to try to make a small contribution before I started asking too many questions. In regards to the Apple Macs, yes Apple has create a Maps feature for OS X. But one of MapPoints main features that many people are most interested in is their route optimization. Unfortunately, Apple Maps won't do this. I do outside sales so I need to route ~21 stops per day. I was just trying to recommend some software that I have started using instead.

M

MacInWin

Good thing to know. I rarely have more than one or two stops on my routes, so that feature is not critical to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.