Firefox and Thunderbird

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac - Mac OS X 10.4.11 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRM
Everything I do with a browser, I've done with Firefox for a long time. I sync my firefox bookmarks across multiple PCs, including at work. I can access the bookmarks online if necessary, but having them right in the browser is nice.

So, what's your thought, should I install Firefox or stick with Safari?

It doesn't seem that Thunderbird is available for Mac, anyone know different?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It's really personal preference. I can't stand Firefox...it's bloated, slow, and ugly. But that's just me.

I prefer Safari or Chrome.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can't imagine using anything but Firefox, regardless of platform. Nothing else does RSS feeds the way it does, not to mention the infinite variety of plug-ins and add-ons for it.

I've not noticed any bloat or slowness in it. As far as ugly goes, I actually think the interface looks better and more Mac-like than Safari's. But that's just me ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo :: 13.3" MacBook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
It's really personal preference. I can't stand Firefox...it's bloated, slow, and ugly. But that's just me.

I prefer Safari or Chrome.

+1

I'm a Chrome guy all the way unless I have to do testing on FireFox for some reason...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
To the OP. You make it sound like it is difficult to install firefox, when it actually takes less than 5 seconds to install. It's not difficult to uninstall if you don't like it either.

I like Firefox, it does what I want it to and I can customize it to the way I like it.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that Thunderbird is not available for Mac. A simple visit to their website would have told you otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
To the OP. You make it sound like it is difficult to install firefox, when it actually takes less than 5 seconds to install.
That's what I was thinking too. All the major web browsers are free so it's easy to try them all out and see which one a person likes the best. The OP can also import Firefox's bookmarks into Safari so it's not like he has to start from scratch. Which web browser to use is a personal preference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Thunderbird & Firefox

Other Mac users have been able to use Thunderbird. My first surprise on starting my brand new iMac was that Macmail (I don't know if that's its name) was sitting on the dock ready to use immediately.

It may be that I would have needed to disable Macmail but I gave up trying to set up Thunderbird and transferred all my folders across from Thunderbird.

The only drawback has been that my ISP (onetel) kept on telling me that my mailbox was full.

I've had to take the Mac to hospital to have a new power supply installed under warranty so went in via their web browser mailzone and found 85 e-mails in the inbox.

This seems a small amount for 3 months so maybe they deleted the older ones. Anyhow they've told me that somewhere in Preferences is a gizmo to tell the ISP server to delete deleted e-mails.

Firefox works well although I haven't attempted to download all my old bookmarks so I can't comment on how easy it is to do.

C

chas_m

Firefox is kinda ugly (not their fault, it's just not a "true" Mac product rather understandably) in my opinion. But its a very good browser, I just prefer Safari (particularly now with extensions).

Chrome has SERIOUS privacy issues but I've addressed that elsewhere. Bottom line: I'm not going to use it till they fix that (I said the same thing about Google Earth, and then they fixed it, so I'm hopeful they'll "see the light"). SRWare's Iron browser is Chromium without the tracking/privacy problems.

I don't use Thunderbird for mainly the same reason I don't regularly use Firefox; I prefer a native Mac product, not one that looks to Windows for its design and usability cues. But I do definitely appreciate how someone could find it better (particularly if they use it on a PC as well), so I'm very glad its around.

PS. The native Mac program for email is just called "Mail," but you can use MacMail if you prefer. As long as we understand what program you're referring to, no worries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7, 8Gb Ram, 1TB, Snow Leopard
Have you tried Xmarks?

Everything I do with a browser, I've done with Firefox for a long time. I sync my firefox bookmarks across multiple PCs, including at work. I can access the bookmarks online if necessary, but having them right in the browser is nice.

So, what's your thought, should I install Firefox or stick with Safari?

It doesn't seem that Thunderbird is available for Mac, anyone know different?

Have you tried Xmarks to synch your bookmarks? It can work with firefox and safari on the Mac. I use it between my work and home computers to keep everything all synched up.

I've used Firefox for a long time, mostly because of all the great 3rd party add-ons (like greasemonkey and the flickr scripts). I'm switching over to Safari since it is a native OS app, like Mail. The one thing I'm kind of surprised about is iChat and the scanty support for the various protocols.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I used FireFox with GrApple Crisp 3.0.1 theme. The look is almost identical to Mac OSX and Safari. It's a must if you want OS integrated look to Mac. I've been using Safari also. It's pretty good.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried Xmarks to synch your bookmarks? It can work with firefox and safari on the Mac. I use it between my work and home computers to keep everything all synched up.

Yes, I use Xmarks (since it was called Foxmarks). I did not know it would work with Safari, if so that will probably solve my issue.

As to those who pointed out that Thunderbird is available for Mac. My only defense is the firefox Mac download is right there on the front page where even someone like me can find it. Turns out the Mac download for Thunderbird is hidden behind some strange link called "Other Systems and Languages". As a switcher, I'm still getting used to my OS being referred to as the other systems. ;D

Good day.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I used FireFox with GrApple Crisp 3.0.1 theme. The look is almost identical to Mac OSX and Safari. It's a must if you want OS integrated look to Mac. I've been using Safari also. It's pretty good.
That just masks part of Firefox's trouble with OS integration on the Mac. That's another conversation though.

As to those who pointed out that Thunderbird is available for Mac. My only defense is the firefox Mac download is right there on the front page where even someone like me can find it. Turns out the Mac download for Thunderbird is hidden behind some strange link called "Other Systems and Languages".
You must be going to a different page than I am. If i go to the Mozilla Messaging homepage (the group responsible for Thunderbird), the download link points to the Mac version. Where are you going?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must be going to a different page than I am. If i go to the Mozilla Messaging homepage (the group responsible for Thunderbird), the download link points to the Mac version. Where are you going?

The download link (button) I see on that page is for the Windows version. I have to click the link Other Systems & Languages to find the Mac version. Perhaps you mistook my self-deprecating humor as something more serious. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must be accessing the website using a Windows computer. The website auto detects what OS you are using and then gives you the link for that that OS as the main download link button.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must be accessing the website using a Windows computer. The website auto detects what OS you are using and then gives you the link for that that OS as the main download link button.

Well, kick me in the shin, I'm at work on a Win box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard

I hate sites that do that. I frequently have to install PokerStars on my grandfather's computer and it detects Ubuntu 10.04 as a Mac. Mac software won't run under WINE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The feature can be annoying at times. A manual selection like the one at Mozilla still needs to be offered at those auto detect sites.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.