Dear Friends,

I intend to buy a MacBook Pro 17-inch. The basic specifications from Apple are:

# 2.53GHz Intel Core i5
# 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB
# 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Glossy Widescreen Display
# Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

Apple provides options to configure and up-scale some specifications (http://store.apple.com/us_edu_188440/configure/MC024LL/A), and I have some questions in that regard:

1) Adding to the normal uses such as browsing, emailing, word processing, watching movies, etc. I expect to do some video editing work on my laptop. Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 is the program I used to use. For my school work, I usually only produce short videos with a final cut of less than 10 minutes, although my original footage sometimes occupy two 60-minutes mini DV tapes. I wonder if the basic set-up of the laptop (as specified above) would qualify/satisfy the video editing work I'll be doing. Or would it worth to add $180 for an upgrade from i5 to i7, $360 for 4GB of RAM to 8GB, or the upgrades for the hard drive:
# 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm [Add $45.00]
# 128GB Solid State Drive [Add $180.00]
# 256GB Solid State Drive [Add $585.00]
# 512GB Solid State Drive [Add $1,170.00]

2) Apple says on their web that the glossy display would be better for watching movies than an anti-glare. I do watch movies a lot. However, I am also sensitive to reflections and do not like them. Therefore I'm not sure if I should just stay with the glossy screen or add $45 for an anti-glare one.

3) Would it be cost efficient to add $239 to extend the complimentary 90 days telephone technical support and one-year limited warranty to 3 years?

I would highly appreciate any advise. Thanks a lot.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved to appropriate forum. Not really related to "Movies and Video".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
1) Adding to the normal uses such as browsing, emailing, word processing, watching movies, etc. I expect to do some video editing work on my laptop. Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 is the program I used to use. For my school work, I usually only produce short videos with a final cut of less than 10 minutes, although my original footage sometimes occupy two 60-minutes mini DV tapes. I wonder if the basic set-up of the laptop (as specified above) would qualify/satisfy the video editing work I'll be doing. Or would it worth to add $180 for an upgrade from i5 to i7, $360 for 4GB of RAM to 8GB, or the upgrades for the hard drive:
# 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm [Add $45.00]
# 128GB Solid State Drive [Add $180.00]
# 256GB Solid State Drive [Add $585.00]
# 512GB Solid State Drive [Add $1,170.00]
You current configuration will be adequate enough for your requirements. I am currently running 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 15" MBP with 4GB DDR3 RAM and editing 3 hour shows using Premiere Pro CS5. If you can upgrade to better parts, I would as it gives you more future proofing.
I would get the i7 processor and the 500GB 7,200rpm Hard Drive.
2) Apple says on their web that the glossy display would be better for watching movies than an anti-glare. I do watch movies a lot. However, I am also sensitive to reflections and do not like them. Therefore I'm not sure if I should just stay with the glossy screen or add $45 for an anti-glare one.
Get the anti-glare screen. I have the glossy screen and while it is lovely to look at, it can be a pain with reflections and sunlight.
3) Would it be cost efficient to add $239 to extend the complimentary 90 days telephone technical support and one-year limited warranty to 3 years?
I bought my MBP using my University discount and so received the 3 Year Applecare for free. My Magsafe Power Adaptor began to bare wires a few months ago and I walked straight into my nearest Apple Shop and exchanged it for a new one in about 5 minutes. You may never use it but it is extremely helpful when something does go wrong.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo :: 13.3" MacBook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
Hi RW,

For me the screen has never really been a big issue for me in regards to watching films, because I am normally in a place where I have control over the light levels, ie putting the screen towards the sun isn't a good plan! Having anti-glare is nice, however not really a major selling point.

In regards to AppleCare; always go for it. It is worth every penny, not because Mac's are unreliable, but parts do fail, it's not a perfect world (yet). I have yet to need my AppleCare after two years, however I have seen many people who have been very glad they did.

(Good to see you TB, the internet is a small place!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Reaction score
My wife uses the 17" version and I am kinda jealous :p
The anti glare is a must especially if you are working in day time, it makes it easier to see what's on your scrreen. As a hard drive I would go for 320GB as everyone is using external drives nowadays. Apple care is a must!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, Applecare is not a must, particularly when you consider it only covers manufacturers defects.
This is a personal choice everyone needs to make for themselves.

I now have two Mac notebooks, both over three years old and would be out another $500 for nothing if I had paid for Applecare. I am not in the minority here. I have personally owned over 50 computers and have never had the occasion to use a warranty on a single one of them. I have made use of the original warranty on 2 (two) computers used in one of my businesses during the last 25 years.

The ones that make money on extended warranties are the ones selling them.

OP
R
Reaction score
i've heard of buying Applecare from ebay, for instance. perhaps I can wait and get a feel of how things go...?:Blushing:

OP
R
Reaction score
thanQ!

Thank you guys for all your comments/advises! I got my MBP 17'' yesterday!

Happy Maccing!:*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.