• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Trouble With .VRO Extension

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 inch, OSX 10.6.4
So I had the brilliant idea of recording in SD on my Sony HDR UX1 to try and maximize disk space. The only problem is it recorded to .VRO instead of .m2ts (a file format iMovie 08 can handle/convert upon importing).

After playing around and searching the internet far and wide, I've found very little to help me. I tried using multiple video converters, all had that "old tape" problem where the image keeps pouring down the screen in bars.

I also found out you can just rename the file to a format that a media player will recognize (such as simply renaming it from Video.RVO to Video.mpeg) however this doesn't help me since iMovie still won't recognize the codecs involved. (And still has the old tape problem).

Does anyone know a good converter capable of converting 16:9 VRO to 16:9 anything else? There was one converter I tried which was capable of converting it somewhat smoothly (still not very good), but it didn't convert it with a widescreen format. So the image was squished.

I'm also more than willing to listen to more complicated suggestions than simply using a software. If someone is a Terminal wiz or anything like that, more than happy to hear a method.

C

chas_m

MPEG Streamclip should have no trouble with this, and is free.*

*you MAY require the $30 MPEG-2 component from Apple to make this particular conversion work.

OP
Skateyasha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 inch, OSX 10.6.4
MPEG Streamclip was one of the converters I tried, unfortunately it wasn't up to snuff... The one that did end up working was Vaukun or something, but it left a watermark when you only used the trial version.

Edit: Wow... I am retarded. Thanks for making me go back to Streamclip chas. It didn't do anything different for me. It made my sleep-deprived brain think for a second on the fact that the "old tape" effect is no problem of the video or the conversion, just the player I was playing it in. So I am now converting the raw file intelligently, using a converter I purchased a while ago (AVCHD converter), after renaming the VRO file to .ts format. The problem I was having was simply in the software I was using to play the converted video. The codecs were still present of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.