Switching Hardrives

Reaction score
I have a brand new 13" MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory and Snow Leopard 10.6. I have a 320GB hardrive that I want to install but it was used with my previous MacBook that was using Leopard 10.5. I can't switch to the 320GB because the new MacBook says that it cannot run older OSX versions. What can I do? Anything is helpful!! Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo :: 13.3" MacBook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
Hey Bbunny,

Firstly welcome to the forum!

You are right, the new MacBook won't run an older OS, however that doesn't make your old harddrive useless, it can still be used. Firstly make a backup of all your files, Time Machine is your friend. Then following the various instructions on the internet (check out iFixIt) switch over the hard drives. Once your done, boot off of your discs that came with the new MacBook for 10.6, do a fresh install, restoring the data from your Time Machine, and you are done.

Hope that helps.

Doc.

C

chas_m

Another option: pick up a $20 external USB2 case, and then use Migration Assistant to pull over the good files from the old drive.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the help but I would rather just erase whats there instead and start fresh!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.