Connect My Bose Companion 2 Speakers so they play with the speakers on my iMac

Reaction score
i just bought these speakers, and they play fine though to headphone jack on my computer but can i connect they to my iMac so they play with the bar of speakers running along the bottom of the computer???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I understand your question? You want your new Bose speakers to be able to play in conjunction with those of your iMac? If that's what you're asking.. whenever you plug the Bose set into the output jack on your iMac, it disconnects the internal speakers.

What you might consider buying is one of these from Amazon. Then, you can utilize all your speakers.

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
chscag, will that work? Reason I am asking is back when I was using my G4 Mini I bought an external USB sound card as the Mini had no Mic or Line input. 10.4 at the time only let me use either the built in sound or the external USB one. I don't remember ever seeing an option for both. Just curious if that has changed as I still have the sound card.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I had a similar problem. I had Bose Companion 2, like you then "upgraded" to the Companion 3 series. Both usually require a USB connection; but even if you don't have one with your system, you should be able to get your Mac to play sound through your Ext Speakers.

It might, only might, be a minor question of: Open System Preferences - Click on Sound - Click on Output - When connected, your Bose System should show as "Bose (USB) Audio". It may be that your Internal Speakers are highlighted as the default option. If so, just Highlight the Bose System and they will then be your default Output and play everything including Sound Effects etc. Your Internal Speakers will be automatically muted.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
chscag, will that work? Reason I am asking is back when I was using my G4 Mini I bought an external USB sound card as the Mini had no Mic or Line input. 10.4 at the time only let me use either the built in sound or the external USB one. I don't remember ever seeing an option for both. Just curious if that has changed as I still have the sound card.

I've not tried it myself but according to what I've read, others have set it up to where all speakers can be used. I guess you'll have to give it a go to see if it works on your newer system.

I noticed from the Amazon reviews that most, if not all of the buyers of that external sound card were Windows users and had disconnected their on board sound (from the BIOS setup) and just used the external instead. I wonder if that particular external card is only for Windows?

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.