• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Exporting kids sports DVD to Create highlights??

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone had a quick way or steps/tools to take a DVD that was produced or made of a youth sport that I could later take & make a highlight real of season down the road by taking best clips of each???

Just not sure how to export from DVD to Mac?? Or what to use??

Have the Mac, have Final Cut Pro, iDVD, iMovie...but fuzzy on going backwards to do this??

I have taken raw video from camera & thrown into iMovie, cut up & then into iDVD.

Or point me in right direction if can??

TIA

C

chas_m

So basically you need to take the footage off the DVD, convert it back into a format iMovie (et al) can handle, then edit and make a new DVD.

Handbrake is probably the first step in this process; it will read the DVD and convert the video into MP4 format. iMovie can read MP4 format and from there you already know what to do.

If you want to avoid any quality loss (not that this is a huge deal in most cases), you might need a tool like DVDxDV (a rather dodgy product but it does the job) or MPEG Streamclip so you can convert to lossless DV format.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.