Emails won't send and they disappear (GMail)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm still on iOS 4.0 and I just had a strange happening. I drafted some emails last night on my Mac (on Chrome) and in GMail so I saved them to Drafts. This morning on my way out I navigated to them on my iPhone 4 running iOS 4.0 (I was still in range of my WiFi, too). When I hit send in Mail I saw an error notification popup saying:
Cannot Send Mail
Check the settings for the outgoing servers in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Then the message was gone from Drafts on my phone. When I got to the office I logged onto GMail with my desktop and the message was gone from Drafts in GMail also. I used the search box and found the message but here's where things get supremely weird: GMail found the message but it appears to exist between existence and non-existence--in a land of shadow and substance, of things and ideas. It's neither in my Inbox, Trash, Spam, Sent Mail, or Drafts. I was able to copy/paste and resend it without fail on my desktop.

So I tried to replicate this and was able to create and save another draft on my desktop and saw the same message when trying to send it from my iPhone. Sure enough, they seamed to "disappear without disappearing" from my GMail account.

I searched Google and got two results--one discussing exchange issues and the other was in Russian.

If anyone has had similar experiences or is aware of a fix I'd love to hear it! Thanks and apologies for the long post.

blc

Reaction score
I just had the same thing happen to me. The only difference is that my email is entirely gone. I did a search in gmail on my laptop and nothing - not even in the nether regions of existence and non-existence. Very frustrating for an email that took awhile to draft.

On my iphone I 3 email accounts setup - 2 are gmail and the other is Outlook (for work). I checked all 3 accounts and couldn't find the email in any of them. I am on ios 5.1.1.

I'm really desperate, and would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.