iPod Touch & Google Maps Woe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I recently bought an iPod Touch. I really only wanted the Nano but the one thing that swung me towards the Touch was that the guy in the Apple store told me quite categorically that Google maps worked away from WiFi spots and only needed to connect to WiFi to update. We discussed this at some length.

Having only used the Touch at home these last couple of weeks, I went into the wilds of the Yorkshire Moors, got lost, then thought "Not to worry - myiPod will take care of that" No joy - Maps just dont show.

Do I have just cause for a refund or is there a way to download the maps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
...the guy in the Apple store told me quite categorically that Google maps worked away from WiFi spots...

Do I have just cause for a refund or is there a way to download the maps?
Do you have it in writing???

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
No, we were just stood by the iPods talking.

C

chas_m

The guy was technically correct; what he didn't mention is that you have to download the maps BEFORE getting lost. :)

I used my original iPhone to navigate across the US by doing this; I would load up our planned route at the hotel (wifi), then consult it as we drove (no EDGE, no wifi).

On the rare occasions where we decided to change route, I would go to the nearest town, locate a coffee shop (the old-fasioned way) and use their wifi to update the route map.

This worked out great for us and to this day we're a bit mystified at why so many people fork out so much money for GPS. :)

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still having no luck with this. While at home, connected to my home network, I planned a route on my iPod Touch. I went through the directions and watched the map load up. Switched the iPod off and and went off in the car. Later, having reached the 'start' point of my route I switched on my iPod but Maps wouldn't load as it could not find a network to connect to. Could not find anyway to specifically tell it to save my route and having searched the web for clues everyone says the route is just saved. Saved it might well be but just how do I access it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.