compact camera with video mode that works with mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17in GS Macbook Pro 3.06ghz, 4gb ram, 500 hdd 7200 rpm,9400m and gt graphics
Hi all

i need to get a new compact camera as the mega pixels are 8.1 (not to bad) but the video mode file format has to be converted to be a format that imovie and fcp can use so i canm edit.

is there any compact cameras available that can format video that mac imove and fcp can use with out converting it first ?

also i will be using the camera for mainly underwater photography so will need to consider a housing.

thanks

C

chas_m

iMovie (and thus FCP) can use DV, some forms of AVI (H.264), AVCHD and MP4/H264.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Forget the housing...try looking at the Olympus Tough camera line...they are decent compact underwater cameras. They shoot HD video and play nice with the Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Forget the housing...try looking at the Olympus Tough camera line...they are decent compact underwater cameras. They shoot HD video and play nice with the Mac...

Olympus MjU Tough 8000 Review

With reviews and testimonials like what's posted at that site, there's no way on Earth I'd buy one of those with the intended purpose of using it just as an underwater camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It's rated for 10'. There are post on there of users taking the camera into the water for the first time just to have it stop function.

I'd trust a quality housing over a P&S any day of the weak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's rated for 10'. There are post on there of users taking the camera into the water for the first time just to have it stop function.

I'd trust a quality housing over a P&S any day of the weak.

I have no idea what you were looking at...the Stylus 8010 is rated for 33ft... Beyond that nothing except professional gear is trustworthy anyway.

Just like the Mac...sometimes there is mechanical failure. It's quite rare...and Olympus is a class company and will repair replace the defective item promptly if that is the case.

The Op sounded as though he was looking for an affordable way to shoot decent quality vid underwater...This camera delivers.

The review you submitted was glowing and had nothing but praise for the camera as well....

A family member owns this camera and it has been wailed on since new. It continues to perform as advertised FWIW....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I have no idea what you were looking at...the Stylus 8010 is rated for 33ft... Beyond that nothing except professional gear is trustworthy anyway.

Just like the Mac...sometimes there is mechanical failure. It's quite rare...and Olympus is a class company and will repair replace the defective item promptly if that is the case.

The Op sounded as though he was looking for an affordable way to shoot decent quality vid underwater...This camera delivers.

The review you submitted was glowing and had nothing but praise for the camera as well....

A family member owns this camera and it has been wailed on since new. It continues to perform as advertised FWIW....

Typo. Supposed to be 10 meters.

If you read the comments below there are reports of failure once they've been fully submerged in water along with Olympus denying to replace the camera under warranty.

$400 is alot for something that's not gauranteed to work as advertised. I'd take a quality enclosure over one of those any day of the week. Not to mention you can get a high quality camera to put in an enclosure. It'll be more expensive, but how much are high quality memories worth?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17in GS Macbook Pro 3.06ghz, 4gb ram, 500 hdd 7200 rpm,9400m and gt graphics
hi guys

thanks for the reply, codda the camera is good but i do need something thats up to 40m or more. And it would feel safer with the housing due to the fact that the warranty could easily be voided by the company. fuji f80 exr looks good but its only avi video format ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi guys

thanks for the reply, codda the camera is good but i do need something thats up to 40m or more. And it would feel safer with the housing due to the fact that the warranty could easily be voided by the company. fuji f80 exr looks good but its only avi video format ?

I can't speak for FCP / FCE but I work with AVI files that import and run fine on my Mac...imovie 09

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.