My Wireless Printer Won't Work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.
Okay, I have a Canon Wireless printer. I bought it straight from Apple with my MBP. I've installed the software that came with it several times, and I still can't figure out how to print from it!
It doesn't show up in iWork, or Word, or ANYTHING!
Help me, please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Did the software install include connecting your printer to your wireless network?

With some printers you have to install the software and connect via USB to start with so that you can configure the WiFi connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As mrplow said it is always easier to connect with usb first to set the printer up and I never use the disc on a Mac I go to the mfg's website and get the latest drivers from them and if you have the latest 10.6.4 they will probably be in the list already.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did the software install include connecting your printer to your wireless network?

With some printers you have to install the software and connect via USB to start with so that you can configure the WiFi connection.

I've been using the printer with my PC for a week, via the wireless, and it's working fine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've been using the printer with my PC for a week, via the wireless, and it's working fine.

When you installed the software, did it go through a process where it started looking on the network for the printer? If not, you may need to manually add it via the System Preferences => Print & Fax applet. Click the + button and then browse for the printer. If it doesn't show up in the list automatically (i.e. it uses Bonjour), you may need to click the Windows button to view shared printers that use SMB. And of course, failing that, you may need to manually connect to it using the IP button.

Some printer manufacturers make it easier than others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As cwa advises it is necessary to go into System Preferences and create a new network. You will need to have the printer powered up and connected to your MBP. Did you receive instructions for setting up wirelessly with a Mac?

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As cwa advises it is necessary to go into System Preferences and create a new network. You will need to have the printer powered up and connected to your MBP. Did you receive instructions for setting up wirelessly with a Mac?

It needs to be connected via the USB?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it shouldn't. Did you follow the steps I mentioned previously to browse for the printer on the network?

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it shouldn't. Did you follow the steps I mentioned previously to browse for the printer on the network?

Yep. Nothing shows up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Canon drivers for your printer. LINK

Note: To get the Canon Pixma series all in one printers to work wireless, you'll need to first hook it up via USB cable and then follow their guide. Make sure you have the latest OS X network drivers (wireless).

I know.... it works out of the box with Windows 7 without using USB. What can I say? I just went thru the same thing with my Canon.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yep connect via USB until you get it hooked up. Sorry to disagree Dennis but I had to do this with an Epson TX550W and use the USB cable. Did not resognise otherwise.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Canon drivers for your printer. LINK

Note: To get the Canon Pixma series all in one printers to work wireless, you'll need to first hook it up via USB cable and then follow their guide. Make sure you have the latest OS X network drivers (wireless).

I know.... it works out of the box with Windows 7 without using USB. What can I say? I just went thru the same thing with my Canon.

Regards.

Thanks so much! It works out of the box with VISTA, no USB. Here's my first Mac complaint, Mr. Jobs!
Though, I'm assuming there will be very few in the future :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much! It works out of the box with VISTA, no USB. Here's my first Mac complaint, Mr. Jobs!
Though, I'm assuming there will be very few in the future :D

Mine too. Unfortunately, network printing is a black eye for OS X and has been for quite some time. Windows does a much better job with it.

I have written volumes on it in this forum elsewhere, so I won't get into it here.

In this case, the biggest stumbling block is that Canon doesn't use Bonjour like HP does (HP's recent network printers are pretty much plug-and-play). Canon has their own "IJ Utility" that is used to scan the network, but even their documentation admits that it doesn't always work out of the gate, occasionally you have to plug in the printer first.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine too. Unfortunately, network printing is a black eye for OS X and has been for quite some time. Windows does a much better job with it.

I have written volumes on it in this forum elsewhere, so I won't get into it here.

In this case, the biggest stumbling block is that Canon doesn't use Bonjour like HP does (HP's recent network printers are pretty much plug-and-play). Canon has their own "IJ Utility" that is used to scan the network, but even their documentation admits that it doesn't always work out of the gate, occasionally you have to plug in the printer first.

Ugh =/ you would think Apple would mention that BEFORE selling me the thing! I would have gladly purchased the HP if I'd known it would be a smoother process.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ugh =/ you would think Apple would mention that BEFORE selling me the thing! I would have gladly purchased the HP if I'd known it would be a smoother process.

Keep in mind that just because Apple sells a peripheral in the store, doesn't mean they support it or that their staff knows the ins-and-outs of it. If it says it's Mac compatible on the box, the liability is on the manufacturer to make it work.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep in mind that just because Apple sells a peripheral in the store, doesn't mean they support it or that their staff knows the ins-and-outs of it. If it says it's Mac compatible on the box, the liability is on the manufacturer to make it work.

Completely true, but every review I read said it worked out of the box... I suppose I'm just a little bit challenged :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.