iPhone 3GS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.
Okay, so, I have a friend and we both have the iPhone 3GS, same exact phone. But lately, mine's been acting up. For example, I can be sitting next to her, and her phone will have 5 bars, and mine will have no service. They're the same software, same hardware, both updated. What's going on with my phone?
Any ideas?

C

chas_m

Do you ever actually power down and restart your iPhone?

If "yes," then I'd go talk to an Apple Genius about this.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you ever actually power down and restart your iPhone?

If "yes," then I'd go talk to an Apple Genius about this.

Yep, I've reset it, restored it, popped the sim card out and in...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 5,5
Yep, I've reset it, restored it, popped the sim card out and in...

Are you both on the same carriers? Make sure that you have the latest carrier updates installed on your phone. iTunes usually prompts you automatically to update, and you can even update OTA.

Reaction score
the phone has 1 foot in the grave, and sounds like the other one is about half way there.

probably will need a new phone/replacement

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the phone has 1 foot in the grave, and sounds like the other one is about half way there.

probably will need a new phone/replacement

Why do you say that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
i had my iPhone 3G for 2 years, never an issue. The mute button broke off and apple replaced the device w/o any questions. Upgraded to OS 4.0.1 and had nothing but slow laggy speed issues, So i originally paid $199 with 2 yr commitment, sold it for $150 and picked up a 8GB 3GS for $99.

I know some get bogged down, but if your seriously having issues and still under your 1 yr (from original purchase) take it into apple and have them look at it, you may get a replacement. and if eligible pick up the cheap applecare, or just reformat/re-install the OS and sell it and buy another one.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i had my iPhone 3G for 2 years, never an issue. The mute button broke off and apple replaced the device w/o any questions. Upgraded to OS 4.0.1 and had nothing but slow laggy speed issues, So i originally paid $199 with 2 yr commitment, sold it for $150 and picked up a 8GB 3GS for $99.

I know some get bogged down, but if your seriously having issues and still under your 1 yr (from original purchase) take it into apple and have them look at it, you may get a replacement. and if eligible pick up the cheap applecare, or just reformat/re-install the OS and sell it and buy another one.

It's just sort of annoying! We don't have an apple store in my area, though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I had my 3gs replaced. it kept dropping calls ALL the time, I went in the first time they did a firmware restore blah blah, told me to come back if it keeps happening. I went home nothing but dropped calls. They replaced it at the Apple Store no charge just asked if the same problem was happening. Works minty now! Once in a while I have no service but I just put it into airplane mode and take it out and bam full service again. Not sure if its just interference when that happens but from the sounds of what you have going on its not good!

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had my 3gs replaced. it kept dropping calls ALL the time, I went in the first time they did a firmware restore blah blah, told me to come back if it keeps happening. I went home nothing but dropped calls. They replaced it at the Apple Store no charge just asked if the same problem was happening. Works minty now! Once in a while I have no service but I just put it into airplane mode and take it out and bam full service again. Not sure if its just interference when that happens but from the sounds of what you have going on its not good!

Ugh, guess I'll have to consider

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the AT&T store will provide the tech assistance for you, they can give you a loaner phone for the meantime while they send your phone to apple for testing. Or they may even have a tech there to help you.

Yes AT&T isnt the greatest, their service, like all others, is spotty in some places. But my wife had her SIM replaced at AT&T (free) and majority of the dropped calls stopped on her 3G.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the AT&T store will provide the tech assistance for you, they can give you a loaner phone for the meantime while they send your phone to apple for testing. Or they may even have a tech there to help you.

Yes AT&T isnt the greatest, their service, like all others, is spotty in some places. But my wife had her SIM replaced at AT&T (free) and majority of the dropped calls stopped on her 3G.

Is apple going to be able to tell if I did the latest jailbreak and then restored?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Is apple going to be able to tell if I did the latest jailbreak and then restored?

As long as you did a restore back to normal they cannot tell if you've jailbroken your phone before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A quick question. Have you done a full restore before? Like plug it in hold the sleep button then the home button and do a full firmware restore too? Or was it thru itunes and just kinda click the restore button. Also some restores from a backup could be corrupt and also cause failure as well and after a firmware restore like I described Apple recommends you don't restore your old backup and add everything back manually.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A quick question. Have you done a full restore before? Like plug it in hold the sleep button then the home button and do a full firmware restore too? Or was it thru itunes and just kinda click the restore button. Also some restores from a backup could be corrupt and also cause failure as well and after a firmware restore like I described Apple recommends you don't restore your old backup and add everything back manually.

No... I haven't. That's an interesting idea. If I have my calendar and contacts synced over to my computer in address book and iCal, can I sync those back over? (they were on the phone originally...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No they never saw that i previously jailbroke my 3G when i took it in for replacement because of the broken mute button.

I would just say, make sure the phone is not jailbroken when you take it in. But now, its openly legal to jailbreak your iphone, But we know how touchy and emotional Apple gets when they dont get their way, so just make sure the Stock OE OS is on the device, just so they have no reason NOT to help you.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But we know how touchy and emotional Apple gets when they dont get their way, so just make sure the Stock OE OS is on the device, just so they have no reason NOT to help you.

That's a nice way of putting it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No... I haven't. That's an interesting idea. If I have my calendar and contacts synced over to my computer in address book and iCal, can I sync those back over? (they were on the phone originally...)

If you sync it over you should be fine and just resync the contacts/cal over after, but they will try that first at the apple store so i'd just try it first at home and see , if it continues like you say then you must have some hardware failure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.