Hard drive options......Lovely

Z

Zane

I call Apple asking hard drive questions about their G5 2.7 model. I asked them if I could order a 74 gig Raptor for the OS and programs and have their 400 gig hard drive for storage.

I was told politely, No, I only have 3 options, first is just a 250 gig, second option is just a 400 gig and the final option is 2 400 gig hard drives.
Apple is not really about choices are they? Even their graphic card solutions seem a little outdated.
It would appear you have more options in the pc world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well most PC makers also only offer a certain number of configurations on their models, but you can always go and get the drive you want and install it yourself to accomplish want you want.

Same goes for the card, although there AREN'T as many cards available as for PC's...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Zane said:
I call Apple asking hard drive questions about their G5 2.7 model. I asked them if I could order a 74 gig Raptor for the OS and programs and have their 400 gig hard drive for storage.

I was told politely, No, I only have 3 options, first is just a 250 gig, second option is just a 400 gig and the final option is 2 400 gig hard drives.
Apple is not really about choices are they? Even their graphic card solutions seem a little outdated.
It would appear you have more options in the pc world.

Just get the G5 with the 400 GB drive and buy your own 74Gig Raptor and install it. If you want it to be the boot drive, make it the first Sata drive and reinstall OSX on it. I have a friend who wanted a Raptor as his boot drive in his Dual G5. Worked great. FAST too. You can buy any SATA drive and install it in the Powermac G5.

OP
S

speedydave

Ditto on buying your own Raptor and getting the PM with the 400. I don't know what company Apple gets their hard drives from, but it's usually cheaper to have less options, especially when they'll be popular options. Despite the performance advantages of having a Raptor as an OS drive, I don't think many people would want to pay the price to have the PM come with a Raptor, and it wouldn't be very popular. Besides, most people would go "Eww, 74gb! That's so small! And look, I can get five times the storage for the same price with this other drive!"

Just out of curiosity, if all you want to use the Raptor for is the OS, why don't you save a little money and go with the 36gb version (if they still make them; haven't looked into Raptor hdd's in a while)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.