Maintaining iWeb site from different macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
I have 2 G4s. One is not always available to me. I want to work on the site on both machines. How do I import an iWeb published site?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I don't think Multisite works on multiple machines. It appears to manage multi sites on one machine.

I maintain a few iWeb sites from multiple machines and use dropbox to house the domain file.

Install dropbox onto both machines (using the same dropbox account)
Make sure iWeb is closed and move the domain file (user/Library/Application Support/iWeb/domain.sites2) into your dropbox folder.
Open iWeb by double-clicking on the domain file.
Make your changes as normal, exit iWeb

Dropbox will sync any files in the Dropbox folder with your dropbox online storage.

Start up your other mac, let dropbox sync and then you can double click the domain file to open iWeb to edit your sites.

Once you've used the double-click method to start iWeb once you can open the app as normal as it remebers the last domain file opened.

I'm sure I've made that sound far more complicated that it really is!

Post back if you have any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Dropbox solution provided by mrplow is definitely the best way to go!

OP
Zeke_D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drop box does sound complicated. I figure it should be easier than that. My server is hosted at my house on my network, as a samba share on my D-Link Dns-323. any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You didn't mention you had network storage.
You can do a similar thing without Dropbox by creating a shared folder on your network and placing the domain file on there.

Then follow the same procedure of opening the file by double clicking the first time you access it

OP
Zeke_D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tips plowking. I decided that it was just easier to save it to a local folder on the mac, and just overwrite it from one folder to another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't see that working for an iWeb domain file but good luck with it

OP
Zeke_D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't see that working for an iWeb domain file but good luck with it

It's not an iWeb domain. http://hizzouse.doesntexist.com The site is only 2 pages, so I do not anticipate an overly-long overwrite, especially since the mac and the server are on the same network. If I do end up getting a new apple laptop, I will most likely use the drop box method you recommend. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
dropbox changed my life. Its not complicated at all and everything I do on my macbook is automatically updated to my imac like freaking majic. And I can access it from any computer on earth that has an internet connection. And its all free. Need I continue? Because I can.
Dropbox is awesome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.