General Questions and Modem Support

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I recently placed an order for a Macbook Pro (the 13"edition, anything larger than 14" I feel is not portable enough to me) and I'm going to have some questions when it arrive, but I'd like to get some of them out of the way right now. I have (very limited) experience with Macs, so I'll try to seem as competent as I can without bluffing.

First, assuming I don't like Safari (I've hated it on every PC I've ever used), will Chrome work with my Mac? I prefer Chrome over Firefox and Opera, so I'm hoping that I can install my favorite browser.

Second, and this is more of personal preference, but is iWork suitable for everyone, or have most people gotten Office for Mac? Because I bought the Macbook using a personal loan from my grandfather I got iWork preinstalled, but I'm curious as to how many people have felt that they need to upgrade.

Third, anyone have some suggestions for sites with nice backgrounds? Apple ships the Macs with great backgrounds, but I'm sure I'll want to try something new eventually.

I think that's it for inconsequential stuff that I don't really need to know right now, but here's a very, very important question (preceded by a tiny bit of background information):

My girlfriend bought a Toshiba Satellite a few days ago, and it runs Windows 7. In our room we get awful, awful signal from the wireless modem in the main part of the house. Because I'm going to be using my new Macbook and she's going to be using this, what kind of modem will we both be able to utilize? I read that Airport Express works with XP/Vista, but the main site has no info on Windows 7.

So does anyone have any idea about what modem (hopefully an affordable one) we should get?

Aside from that, I'm very excited for the FedEx guy to hand me my Macbook Pro; I've wanted one for several months now, and I've driven the 1.25 hour (each way) trip to the mall just to try and get acquainted many times. I'll also love my new iPod Touch, but I'm sure I can get that working on my own.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey, everyone. I recently placed an order for a Macbook Pro (the 13"edition, anything larger than 14" I feel is not portable enough to me) and I'm going to have some questions when it arrive, but I'd like to get some of them out of the way right now. I have (very limited) experience with Macs, so I'll try to seem as competent as I can without bluffing.

First, assuming I don't like Safari (I've hated it on every PC I've ever used), will Chrome work with my Mac? I prefer Chrome over Firefox and Opera, so I'm hoping that I can install my favorite browser.

Second, and this is more of personal preference, but is iWork suitable for everyone, or have most people gotten Office for Mac? Because I bought the Macbook using a personal loan from my grandfather I got iWork preinstalled, but I'm curious as to how many people have felt that they need to upgrade.

Third, anyone have some suggestions for sites with nice backgrounds? Apple ships the Macs with great backgrounds, but I'm sure I'll want to try something new eventually.

I think that's it for inconsequential stuff that I don't really need to know right now, but here's a very, very important question (preceded by a tiny bit of background information):

My girlfriend bought a Toshiba Satellite a few days ago, and it runs Windows 7. In our room we get awful, awful signal from the wireless modem in the main part of the house. Because I'm going to be using my new Macbook and she's going to be using this, what kind of modem will we both be able to utilize? I read that Airport Express works with XP/Vista, but the main site has no info on Windows 7.

So does anyone have any idea about what modem (hopefully an affordable one) we should get?

Aside from that, I'm very excited for the FedEx guy to hand me my Macbook Pro; I've wanted one for several months now, and I've driven the 1.25 hour (each way) trip to the mall just to try and get acquainted many times. I'll also love my new iPod Touch, but I'm sure I can get that working on my own.

1. Yes Chrome works on Mac's. All you have to do is go to the Google website...and you'll see that there is a Macintosh version:

Google Chrome - Get a fast new browser. For PC, Mac, and Linux

2. Of course iWork is not for everyone. Nothing is really for everyone. You have to try it for yourself to see if it's right for you. Try the 30-day free trial for iWork:

Apple - iWork - Download a 30-day trial of iWork.

3. We have no idea what you really like in terms of backgrounds. I may be into Sci-Fi backgrounds, you may be into Nature backgrounds. There are a "bazillion" websites for backgrounds...just do an internet search for "desktop backgrounds"...and check out the websites to see what you like.

4. Regarding modems. Most recognizable name brand wireless modems work just fine. Maybe if you gave us an idea of what your budget is for a wireless modem...we could suggest something more specific.

I'm sure you're excited to get your new Macbook Pro...that's a feeling we all share!:)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Our budget isn't all that high; $100 is probably about as high as we could manage, and even that's stretching it. Any ideas on whether Airport Express would work with her PC?

As far as desktops go, I'm more into abstract, land/city scape, and vector backgrounds. Hopefully some of the ones I find around deviantArt will look good, and I've got a friend that might be able to make me one. :D

I've wanted the MBP for a while and thought I'd be stuck with a Toshiba laptop running Vista, 1 hour battery life, awful keyboard, and a screen bigger than my desktop computer. Running a Macbook Pro with a screen size I love (as I said, 13-14 is my preference), iWork preinstalled (I can always upgrade to Office when 2011 comes out) and Snow Leopard is a huge, huge upgrade. :D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As usual Nick has passed on some excellent advice. On thing I can add is that if iWork does not get the job done for you check out download: OpenOffice.org Downloads. It's free and has a lot of the capabilities of Microsoft Office.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As usual Nick has passed on some excellent advice. On thing I can add is that if iWork does not get the job done for you check out download: OpenOffice.org Downloads. It's free and has a lot of the capabilities of Microsoft Office.

Great addition of the "Open-Office" recommendation! Free is always a great price!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I think you need to clarify about the modem. Do you need an actual modem and if so, what type (DSL, cable, dialup)? Or are you thinking that you need a router to split your internet connection?

OP
E
Reaction score
Ah. For all of my knowledge concerning electronic technology, I must be using the wrong terminology. Currently, there is a modem in my house that does not give adequate coverage for where my girlfriend and I will be 90% of the time. I'm looking for something that can extend that so that we have good service in this room, but it has to play nice with both a new Macbook Pro and a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7.

Would Airport work with W7? Airport Express should have the coverage we need (and the music streaming will be awesome).

C

chas_m

ACurrently, there is a WIRELESS ROUTER in my house that does not give adequate coverage for where my girlfriend and I will be 90% of the time.

There, fixed that for ya.

Would Airport work with W7? Airport Express should have the coverage we need (and the music streaming will be awesome).

Yes and yes, most likely. You never actually said how far away you are from the current router.

OP
E
Reaction score
If I had to guess... 50 feet? But it's a cheap router working through 2 large rooms, a flight of stairs, another 'room', and its way into our rooms. Sometimes we'll get some kind of reception, other times there's absolutely nothing. It seems to change with the wind, as it can be sitting perfectly still and then signal will disappear and come back five minutes later. Infuriating, to say the least; and not something we want to happen while we're doing software updates.

While we could technically run cable and use a network connection, that kind of defeats the purpose of having a portable computer anmd would be unsightly. I'll look around online for some more (I believe Macs are compatible with most routers, right?) and try to check compatibility; my main question was about the Airport Express, so maybe I'll just ask Apple directly.

C

chas_m

Airport (either variety) will do great. You can find cheaper routers, but the problem with them is they are cheaper routers, if you get my drift.

OP
E
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that I've been using my Macbook daily since I got it (which was actually four days earlier than FedEx had said) and I absolutely love the machine. The keyboard is comfortable, the screen is gorgeous, and the trackpad...god, I love the trackpad. I've also liked having (almost-see below) no issues with the Operating System, which is easy and intuitive. Consider me sold; I plan on Apple-fying my house when, ya know, I actually have one :3

However, Chrome has been acting weird lately. I used that instead of Safari because I prefer the aesthetics, the all-in-one box, etc. but recently I've noticed that Chrome will slow down (to the point where nothing loads for five minutes-I always give up at that point) and I have to quit the application, then restart to delay--not fix--the problem again. Very annoying.

Other than that, this is probably my absolute favorite possession...with my Droid Incredible running a close second.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.