• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I like Asus, but I think they miss the point...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
DailyTech - ASUS Announces $1,000 Eee Pad, $399 Android Tablet

$399 Android Tablet (that's a good price point and good implementation of touch) and the $1000 Eee Pad. C2D and Windows 7... I see this not performing very well and overheating... a lot.

This article is a joke that is not factual at all. The android tablet is true,priced at 300,the WinCE tablet does not exist,thats an error,the machine that is now the android system was at first CE,lastly the Win 7 machine is 499,tying the iPad,not a crazy number of 1000,asus said it themselves.
Keep in mind that right now asus makes $400 windows 7 tablet convertibles and 1000 gets you a macbook pro hardware matcher with better battery life.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
No, the Win 7 Compact is $499. They have a 12.1 Eee Pad that will run win 7 home premium.

Linky-poo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
There's also this...the "ePad," running Android, all for just 100 bucks! I ordered one last night, which means it's gonna take about a month to get here...

I still don't get the point in using a full OS, which is based on mouse movement, on a touch device, which, simply put, requires a "middle-man" to make your finger interact with the mouse's placement. Have you seen them demoing out some of these tablets that run W7? They always mention something like, "this is really how simple it is!" Then they take you to a step 1 through step 6, just to get the keyboard app open, so you can type a couple of words, on what looks to be a microscopic keyboard because they have to have keyboard on their tiny screen screen. FAIL!!! I think all these companies designing tablets that run full OS's are similar to people driving through dense fog, at night, pitch black, with all lights out...everywhere! They don't see what can lie ahead, just what they want to do to try and one up the current competition without giving it much thought as to how such a thing could be achievable. It also doesn't help to have a moron like Ballmer on their team.
They will always miss the point...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
There's also this...the "ePad," running Android, all for just 100 bucks! I ordered one last night, which means it's gonna take about a month to get here...

I still don't get the point in using a full OS, which is based on mouse movement, on a touch device, which, simply put, requires a "middle-man" to make your finger interact with the mouse's placement. Have you seen them demoing out some of these tablets that run W7? They always mention something like, "this is really how simple it is!" Then they take you to a step 1 through step 6, just to get the keyboard app open, so you can type a couple of words, on what looks to be a microscopic keyboard because they have to have keyboard on their tiny screen screen. FAIL!!! I think all these companies designing tablets that run full OS's are similar to people driving through dense fog, at night, pitch black, with all lights out...everywhere! They don't see what can lie ahead, just what they want to do to try and one up the current competition without giving it much thought as to how such a thing could be achievable. It also doesn't help to have a moron like Ballmer on their team.
They will always miss the point...

A full OS means a power user could get way more out of their tablet than say your typical iPad user.

It's not that there's anything wrong with a tablet running a full OS, it's that there's not adjustments to a full OS to run more like iOS but still giving you the means to do what you need to do while having the ease to do it without your typical mouse and one screen keyboard setup.

You and your iPad can download apps from an app store and play with those all day, but if I had a tablet capable of running OS X with implementations to increase usability, I could do so much more than download apps from the app store.

Let's see, multitasking is of course already supported, I could have a real working file system, connection to my servers, the ability to install whatever I wanted on it and not just apps selected by Apple, and other advantages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
A full OS means a power user could get way more out of their tablet than say your typical iPad user.

Reallyyy? I didn't know that....(note sarcasm)

Theoretically, it makes sense, but just try it first to do everything you can do on a laptop that you plan on doing based on a full OS touch device.
But, I guess you've never really used a tablet running a full OS. You think it's cool that you can do everything you can on a laptop, but in a small touch device, but just 10 minutes into playing with one, you realize how good your old trusty mouse is. Until they figure out a way to make their own OS that is actually built around the way a person communicates with it, my opinion will always remain the same!

I also don't think you understood what I was trying to say. Everyone and their grandmother knows that a FULL OS will undoubtedly have more options, but what my point was is that you cant just port a FULL OS, designed to run on a pc that is connected to a monitor, and requires input via a keyboard and mouse, and be done with it. You can have your say against the ipad, but that doesn't mean anything else is automatically better.

Full OS tablets and computers have been around for years...there's a reason why they have never taken off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I guess you kind of missed the point where I was mentioning to make a full OS run more like iOS with the input and controls but without losing the functionality...

Being able to use multi touch with a full OS and have a soft keyboard pop up with just a touch would get you the ability to do pretty much everything you could with a keyboard and mouse.

If they implemented that into OS X and it would run with the performance of the iPad, it would be a much better system. Apple could even market it as the iPad pro.

At that point, there's endless possibilites. It would be the perfect remote for a smart house, along with the ability to have access to limitless "things". I have a server sitting on my computer desk that houses movies, games, music, articles, etc... that I could have access to any time I wanted.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.7 = iPad Pro? We'll see how it goes... I really like iOS, I think maybe they'll redesign Mac OS X to work with a larger touch screen device?

Either way, I don't think Windows 7 works as a Touch OS. Windows Compact 7 is a little bit better. We'll see where Microsoft takes this, because I think that lately they've been designing some quality software. I am just still not a fan of their OS, and I think their touch offerings are far behind the rest of the pack. Honestly, even using it on a giant 26 inch touchscreen gateway and HP models at work, I'm still not a fan of Home Premium. The demand for precision mouse clicking is just too high, and it is far from optimized for touch. OS X on the other hand is more than ready to have touch added into it, and I think Apple will meld some mixture of SL and iOS into 10.7 and release 13-17 inch touch devices possibly? Who knows! I can't imagine the world without a traditional desktop PC, and I think that Apple still needs to dominate in that market, since their product has been so quality for so long.

We'll see what happens!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Mac OS X 10.7 = iPad Pro? We'll see how it goes... I really like iOS, I think maybe they'll redesign Mac OS X to work with a larger touch screen device?

Either way, I don't think Windows 7 works as a Touch OS. Windows Compact 7 is a little bit better. We'll see where Microsoft takes this, because I think that lately they've been designing some quality software. I am just still not a fan of their OS, and I think their touch offerings are far behind the rest of the pack. Honestly, even using it on a giant 26 inch touchscreen gateway and HP models at work, I'm still not a fan of Home Premium. The demand for precision mouse clicking is just too high, and it is far from optimized for touch. OS X on the other hand is more than ready to have touch added into it, and I think Apple will meld some mixture of SL and iOS into 10.7 and release 13-17 inch touch devices possibly? Who knows! I can't imagine the world without a traditional desktop PC, and I think that Apple still needs to dominate in that market, since their product has been so quality for so long.

We'll see what happens!

Windows 7 has a bunch of features for touch interface, and even with out them, I use logmein from my iPad all of the time to log onto my computer at work running windows 7, and it works fine without a mouse or keyboard.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Windows 7 has a bunch of features for touch interface, and even with out them, I use logmein from my iPad all of the time to log onto my computer at work running windows 7, and it works fine without a mouse or keyboard.

Yea... apparently fine for you isn't fine for me. I don't like having to try to tap the same spot all the time. Even with super blown up buttons, I don't like it. Good for you, though. Glad you're satisfied. The way it currently stands, Microsoft is behind the game in touch, and have a lot of catching up to do. The real threat is from Google.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.