shuffle as storage device

H

Hanyoung

I've been reading the forums and it looks like the shuffle can be used as a flash storage device. sweet! especially with the 1 gb price drop.

I've been looking to get a flash drive to download images, presentations, and give ppt lectures. Has anyone had any trouble doing this? I plan to paritition (required?) half of the memory for songs on a mac, then store video, images, and documents on the other half (using the ibms at work).

Any compatibility issues?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
unfortunately yes, in order for iPod to function normally it needs to be formated as Mac OS X extended. PCs cannot read this format, unless iTunes is installed on them. if you reformat as FAT32 (PC standard) you will lose iPod functionality, but have a flash drive. its the same issue with all iPods when it comes to use as a external storage device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
MAC-simus said:
unfortunately yes, in order for iPod to function normally it needs to be formated as Mac OS X extended. PCs cannot read this format, unless iTunes is installed on them. if you reformat as FAT32 (PC standard) you will lose iPod functionality, but have a flash drive. its the same issue with all iPods when it comes to use as a external storage device.
Complete Bull.

All Shuffles come formatted in Fat32 and stay that way, meaning you can use it without hitch on a PC or mac.

This is true for ALL iPods: If you format them to FAT32, they will work with both systems, as OS X can read & write to FAT32.

You don't even need to partition it or anything, as there's a slider in iTunes where you can set how much space you want to use for music and how much for data.

OP
S

spong

Yes, in a slightly more tactful way, I'd agree it is easy to do. Half and half on mine, no problems.

there are a few wierd little issues with Mac/Windows formats - I did manage to trash my big Ipod before I'd actually thought them though (basically I reformatted it to Windows, loaded it up then connected it to a Mac which wiped it. Ooops).

It'll work though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
thats what i do with my 1Gb shuffle

the only thing to watch out for is that you have to enable the storeage option in iTunes otherwise it dont show up in finder as storeage.

when i got mine i filled it with stuff from a M$ comp then plugged it into my PB it didnt show up and took me a while to figure it out

OP
H

Hanyoung

Thanks everybody,

You all have convinced me to get a 1 gb shuffle...

solely for "work" purposes of course :)

Reaction score
Hanyoung said:
Thanks everybody,

You all have convinced me to get a 1 gb shuffle...

solely for "work" purposes of course :)

Hey,

I use my shuffle to bring work files home, and it's been a life saver. Make sure your USB ports are easily accessible. The Shuffle is larger than your standard memory stick, and you may need to purchase a USB extension cable. I had to purchase one for my work PC. Sometimes, it doesn't recognize the shuffle right away...but in the end it always works :cool:

VJ

OP
M

mangoSharingan

My iPod Mini is formatted in FAT32 so that I can use it to backup files in both Mac OS X and Windows and it plays music fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.