MacBook Hard Drive Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93 GHz 12GB RAM
I have a MacBook with a 160 Gig hard drive. Of course I have used up all of my storage space - LOL. My quandary is weather I should upgrade the hard drive or move my files to an external drive. The bulk of my files are either MP3s (iTunes), or JPEGs(Aperture). Moving either of the aforementioned will work. But I would then have to be connected to my portable hard drive in order to use either iTunes or Aperture.

So, what about upgrading to a larger drive? It seems that the largest 2.5" SATA drive I can find is 320 Gigs. That would double my capacity - sweet. Maybe there are even larger drives available?

I am looking for comments - pros & cons etc.....

Thanks for any and all comments will be appreciated.

:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You're not looking very hard ;P
For the convenience of not having to have a USB connection, I would recommend Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar 7K500 HD20500 IDK/7K 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive
It's a fast, quiet, top of the line HD, with plenty of room.
You can go as high as 750GB... have a look here
Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC
Just go to My OWC and put in your specs, and it will come up with a good list of options for you.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93 GHz 12GB RAM
You're not looking very hard ;P
For the convenience of not having to have a USB connection, I would recommend Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar 7K500 HD20500 IDK/7K 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive
It's a fast, quiet, top of the line HD, with plenty of room.
You can go as high as 750GB... have a look here
Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC
Just go to My OWC and put in your specs, and it will come up with a good list of options for you.

Thanks 6string.... Great advice. Will have a look see. I did see a 1 TB drive (WDC) out there. But I believe it is too thick.

L O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I did see a 1 TB drive (WDC) out there. But I believe it is too thick.

It is!
There will be 1TB drives out soon enough in the 2.5" 9.5mm form factor, but for the cost of that drive I linked you to, it is a great drive with plenty of room.
It is always good practice to keep movies on an external HD just for movies, as they are such a space hog, and it is easy enough to deal with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.