Firewire issues

Reaction score
Hello, I have an iMac 10.6.4. I have been trying with no success to hook up (via firewire) to the Alesis Multimix 8. I also have the Tascam 1804. I downloaded the correct drivers for each source. Followed all directions such as turning units off and restarting. For some reason, it seems the iMac does not see either of the units. I have been alternating the units several times, removing and re-installing the drivers. Yet, I cannot see the either unit in hardware overview, nor in Logic Express. I am using a new firewire 9 pin to 6 pin cable. When I click on the icon for the Alesis unit, I get a message saying "Alesis Firwire, no devices found, connect devices" The Alesis does not show in Logic Express either. As far as the Tascam is concerned, their message states, FW1804 not available. It seems the iMac just does not recognize any of these units. Can anyone shed light on this for me please, I would hate to run out an buy another interface!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Are you using external power or self powered (Firewire only) for the Alesis and Tascam?

OP
M
Reaction score
I am using the dedicated power for each unit. Each unit has it's own power supply

OP
M
Reaction score
oK, let me ask this, has anyone had success with either the Tascam Fw1804 or the Alesis Multimix (both firewire) working with the new iMac? I wrote to Alesis they have not responded. Tascam is next, but from what I have been reading, they either don't respond or don't support this model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo :: 13.3" MacBook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
I can't speak about the FireWire version, however I have MultiMix 12 USB, which I can get talking nicely to Audacity, for me it was pretty much plug and play.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, that is what I thought Mac was all about, plug and play. I had both units working with a (windows xp) laptop. I was so happy to climb aboard onto Mac. I just can't figure this out. btw, When I go into "About this Mac", and then "more info", then to "Firewire", it shows "Firewire bus, maximum speed 800"
Does this mean the port is good and working??

C

chas_m

It's just telling you the speed of the FW800 port. The fact that it "sees" it means its good and working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.