Weird problem with boot camp and imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4
What a weird night! I just got a last gen iMac, decided to sell my laptop since I am no longer in college. I spent the last few nights trying to get Windows installed, finally after some research I formatted the Windows partition in nfts or whatever it is and it worked. Windows crashed on me once, but after I installed some 72 updates I have not had a problem since.

Last night I was installing something, it was going to take around 5 hours to download. I had an awful migraine so I went to bed, I woke up in the middle of the night to some poltergeist type stuff. The computer had rebooted itself for some reason and was stuck on the gray screen. I thought wow, new iMac crashed already. I was not going to be able to sleep thinking it was broken, so at 4 am I went about trying to fix it.

I was able to boot into Windows but not OSX and finally I figured out I could boot to the OSX DVD. I went to the disk utility and hit verify and it went something like this...

Such and Such
2 instead of 0

Such and Such
3 instead of 15

and so on, I hit repair and it booted right up. Is this a common problem with boot camp? Should I just delete my windows partition, I don't want to be in danger of destroying the hd. I had Windows on my Macbook Pro with no problems, but I thought this was very weird. I am actually on the Windows partition now and it is working wonderfully and OSX booted up earlier fine. Never a dull moment lol.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to appropriate forum.

and so on, I hit repair and it booted right up. Is this a common problem with boot camp? Should I just delete my windows partition, I don't want to be in danger of destroying the hd. I had Windows on my Macbook Pro with no problems, but I thought this was very weird. I am actually on the Windows partition now and it is working wonderfully and OSX booted up earlier fine. Never a dull moment lol.

It sounds like everything is working OK now, so just leave it alone. The hard drive errors are a concern but it seems that DU repaired them. Keep an eye on things and if you do run into problems with that drive, make an appointment with Apple and have them trouble shoot it for you.

One thing I do advise... is start making backups (if you haven't already). Use Time Machine to backup Snow Leopard. If you're running Windows 7 on the iMac, use the built in imaging backup program. You'll need two separate hard drives though because the Windows 7 backup only works with NTFS and Time Machine needs HFS+.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.