looking for a monitoring app

Reaction score
hi - am looking for a way to monitor my kids internet usage - websites visited and time spent - any help appreciated. it should be fairly tamper proof too from a 15 yo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Welcome to M-F!

Won't the included Parental Controls do what you want?
You can restrict websites, limit computer time, see iChat/Application/Visited Website logs.
Macworld articles on how it works,
Leopard?s Parental Controls | Software | Macworld
Beyond Parental Controls | Software | Macworld

Restricting web content can be be made even better if you use the free service from Open DNS.
You make an account with them register the computers IP address, set what content it should restrict and then add their DNS addresses in the Macs Network Prefs.
OpenDNS > FamilyShield

All you need then is a strong Admin password that your 15 year old can't easily guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
McYukon is right. The built in parental controls work like a charm. But don't forget, boys will be boys.

OP
J
Reaction score
time spent on a website

Thx McYukon :D - unfortunately i am a lowly Tiger user 10.4.11 so it seems the parental controls are less powerful - what i want to do is really see where they go and how much time they spend there - esp facebook......how can i do this???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
Also visit x3church.com they have a free program you set up to email you links to any questionable sites.

C

chas_m

Would it not be possible to put the computer in a "public" space in your home? That is another tip that may cut down on "abuse."

OP
J
Reaction score
xchurch and eblaster

thanks everyone - xchurch is not an option as it seems you need to sue a dedicated browser so 15yo will be onto that in a nanosecond.

has anyone used eblaster monitoring software???

if not i might go really high tech as you suggested and move the computer so we can easily monitor:D

keep the ideas coming i appreciate it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo :: 13.3" MacBook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
I really recommend moving the computer, it is a really great deterrent from viewing anything questionable.

I can't say how good this really is, having never used it, but there is a FireFox AddOn called Page Addict which shows how much you are going to a page? pageaddict

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.