Repaired Disk Problem

Reaction score
Hi, I have a MacBook Pro with a 1Tb drive I fitted with Snow Leopard installed. I have the drive partitioned into 3 separate partitions. On one of the partitions, I have loaded TONS of videos on (movies and tv shows) and all of my music. However, Snow Leopard keeps informing me that the drive needs repairing. When I do so, it occasionally tells me it can't and that I need to back up the files and format the drive. But, sometimes it does repair the disk and says there is no problem. The disk then appears on my desktop with all of the files in tact. It keeps saying it needs formatting and then shows up. I have tried backing up and formating but when i move the videos back in, I get the error message again. Is there any software I can use to show if (and which) files are corrupt on the partition and any software I can use to permanently repair the disk. Thanks in advance.
Ric

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I'm aware, the current line of 1 TB drives are not designed to fit comfortably in a MacBook Pro or any other Apple notebook computer. The largest drive that is being sold right now and of the correct size (2.5" x 9.5 mm) is 750 GB. Your 1 TB drive is very likely 12.5 mm in height.

There are folks who have fit these drives (perhaps a bit snug) in their Mac notebook machines without difficulty. But what you need to know is that the drive may not be able to get proper cooling because of the larger size in a cavity meant for 9.5 mm drives.

Having said all that... it appears your drive is having problems, maybe from overheating, maybe not. But why take chances with your data? Be sure you backup often.

To answer your question about which software to use to show and maybe repair corrupt files, my recommendation is Disk Warrior. ($99.95)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.